Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2010 17:00

upgrading to ubuntu 10.04 on mini-9

I have a mini-9 running ubuntu 8.04 and am thinking about upgrading to 10.04.  Concerns are: 1) sounds from what I'm reading that I might be best off doing a reformat and clean install.  Is that correct? and 2) I keep reading about problems with wireless and internet connection not working after the upgrade.  Since surfing the net is one of my main uses for my mini, I am concerned about the upgrade unless i can feel pretty confident that i can get the internet working.  I am moderately adept at Windows stuff, but still pretty much at the learner stage with Ubuntu.  Any advice?

26 Posts

May 24th, 2010 22:00

IMHO the best way to upgrade is using a usb stick with unetbootin. I did this with the mini9. Before I do an install I always first boot just the from the usb to see

everything is okay. All was good with the mini9 incl. the wireless so I went ahead and did a full clean install (reformatted the hd). Now one thing I did notice was the

wireless driver was proprietary and only popped up as being available after a few mins when I was running off the usb stick. Anyway, low and behold when I did the full

install the wireless driver never popped up as being available so I just connected to a wired internet and did an update. The update correctly installed the wireless

driver.

So I recommend you do a clean install when you are near a wired network so you can plug in if the wireless driver does not show up and do a full update. I have to say

10.04 is really a lovely os.

S. 

No Events found!