Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2012 01:00

Cross site Exchange DAG with Multiple WAN Links

In the case that I have a cross site (2 sites, for example) DAG  with one Exchange server at each site, and there are 2 seperated WAN links between these 2 sites for replication

-  Can I use these 2 WAN links seperately for MAPI & Replication (one link for MAPI, one link for Replication), or do I have to use one link for both MAPI and Replication?  And pros & cons for each situation?

-  Does quorum depend on connectivity of the DAG members on the MAPI network, or on the replication network, i.e. on which network (or both) must quorum be maintained to prevent dismount of databases?

92 Posts

March 14th, 2012 06:00

1. Yes you can. Just need proper planning in the network part, different subnets, etc.

2. You can choose any network you want for that.

643 Posts

March 14th, 2012 23:00

Thanks Rafa!  I also got some finds below from:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638104.aspx#NR

to support your points.

• Using two network adapters in each DAG member provides you with one MAPI network and one Replication network.
  • Each DAG member must have the same number of networks. For example, if you plan on using a single network adapter in one DAG member, then all members of the DAG must also use a single network adapter.
  • Each DAG must have no more than one MAPI network. The MAPI network must provide connectivity to other Exchange servers and other services, such as Active Directory and DNS.
  • Additional Replication networks can be added, as needed. You can also prevent an individual network adapter from being a single point of failure by using network adapter teaming or similar technology. However, even when using teaming, this does not prevent the network itself from being a single point of failure.
  • Each network in each DAG member server must be on its own network subnet. Each server in the DAG can be on a different subnet, but the MAPI and Replication networks must be routable and provide connectivity, such that:

225 Posts

March 15th, 2012 01:00

Why not consider enabling ISL of your connections? That could combine links together with more capacity and resiliency and you do not need to look into detail of channel allocations.

Eddy

643 Posts

March 15th, 2012 01:00

The links are for cross sites WAN links provided by carrier.  The situation could be added a new WAN link as the existing WAN link congestion.

No Events found!