Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2011 16:00

VPN Client for Windows 8

The Cisco VPN client does not currently work with Windows 8 and I haven't found a well defined way to use the built-in VPN capability in Windows to connect to EMC's VPN gateway.  The latest beta version of the Shrew VPN client (www.shrew.net) works with Cisco and can even import the .pcf files from the Cisco client.  So if you have clients testing with Windows 8 who need VPN access, point them to ShrewSoft.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 6th, 2011 10:00

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client build 3054 and build 4235 both work with Windows 8 Developer Preview Client, 32- and 64-bit versions

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2012 14:00

Are these builds available on EMC's infastructure?  A previous build installed automatically that does not work with Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2012 15:00

Those builds are available from the Cisco website. You may have to sign up for an account on the Cisco site using your EMC email address, then link it as a Cisco partner in order to get access to the builds.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 24th, 2012 07:00

Any update here?  Anyone been able to get the Cisco VPN Client to work effectively with Windows 8?

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 11:00

Hi DButch,

You know if the Shrew vpn software still working now a days?

I'm trying to use any client on my Windows 8 but anyone including the last version of Cisco AnyConenct Secure Mobility but it does not works properly.

Any suggestion about it?

Thanks.

15 Posts

November 27th, 2012 15:00

Hi emcbruno,

Sorry about the delay, I was on the road.  Microsoft managed to break the Shrewsoft VPN client at some point on the way to release.  I was able to install our latest Cisco VPN client on my developer preview tablet - it required a few trys and use of compatibility mode to finally get it installed and running.

Regards,

Butch

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2012 17:00

Hi DButch,

Don't horry about, thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm still unable to use the Cisco AnyConnect client at my PC Windows 8, could you please give the how to about your sucessfull use on you Windows 8?

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 30th, 2012 10:00

I was finally able to get my Windows 8 x64 (Build 9200) to login in to the EMC VPN. It was a little kludgy, but it works.

You'll need JRE 6u35 (both 32- and 64-bit flavors, if you're running a 64-bit machine) and the Cisco AnyConnect 3.0.3054 or higher. You'll also need the "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client" folder from the C:\ProgramData\Cisco folder of a computer which has successfully connected to EMC over VPN.

Steps:
1. Install the Cisco AnyConnect Client (just the AnyConnect VPN component).

2. Copy the "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client" from another computer into the C:\ProgramData\Cisco folder on the Windows 8 computer.

3. Install JRE 6u35 (both 32- and 64-bit versions for x64 computers) onto the Windows 8 computer.

4.Go into Compatibility View settings in Internet Explorer and add EMC.com.

5. Reboot.

6. Launch IE (Desktop mode) and browse to https://sslvpn.emc.com

7. Click on the appropriate Gateway URL.

8. Ignore any errors which may occur when Cisco Secure Desktop attempts to start the Sun Java applet; you may choose to click skip to continue, or wait for the timeout.

9. Click Login and enter appropriate login information, and click Login.

10. Click Continue.

11. Ignore any errors which may occur when Cisco Secure Desktop attempts to start the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client; you may choose to click skip to continue, or wait for the timeout.

12. At this point, you should be reading the Cisco AnyConnect message regarding security policies.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 5th, 2012 08:00

I was unable to get connect the EMC VPN using the RTM version of Windows 8. I had it working on the preview versions of Windows 8, but I cannot complete the configuration using the RTM version. I attempted to use RStrange's approach, except with JRE 6u37, but was not successful. I have not been able to locate a copy of the JRE 6u35.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 5th, 2012 10:00

Oracle maintains an archive of Java builds.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html

You will have to accept the license agreement, and may have to register before you can download.

15 Posts

December 5th, 2012 11:00

Don't forget to double check your Windows build to determine whether you have the x86 or x64 version.  If you are running the x64 version you may still want to install both the x86 and x64 versions of JRE.  IIRC Cisco is still installing in the Program Files (x86) and will probably want to load the x86 JRE.

25 Posts

December 11th, 2012 07:00

So I'm guessing steps 6-12 will have to be repeated each time you want to VPN into EMC.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 11th, 2012 08:00

correct; steps 6-12 will have to be repeated each time.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 17th, 2012 15:00

Where can I download the Cisco AnyConnect version 3.0.3054?  If you go to the EMC VPN site, it has my version which I currently have installed which is v3.0.3052.  This is also available for manual install from the partner site (https://tpasslvpn.emc.com/) but that has the 3052 client on there as well.  Unfortunately with my Win8 and this rev of AnyConnect, I am unable to connect.

Thanks!!

No Events found!