Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2015 17:00

Charge port hardware failure

Oh what has happened to Dell.  I used to swear by them... I used to work for them in outbound tech support, they were going downhill then and apparently the decent has not slowed.  I've got a Venue 11 pro 5130 that no longer charges unless you press the micro-usb connector in and hold it.  Same thing happened to mine a year ago and fixed under warranty, now my wifes has gone and no warranty.  Dell's solution - replace the entire motherboard.  It's a tiny daughter card on a ribbon cable with 2 screws (admitadely after popping of the middle bezel which isn't hard but not a beginner move).  I can buy the part "refurbished" online for $40 but Dell refuses to fix it reasonably or send me the part even if I pay for it.  So I guess my advice is Don't buy a Dell, and if you do, buy enough extended warranty to cover the entire life of the product for years, because as soon as your warranty is up - they won't even send you parts. 

5 Posts

November 28th, 2015 22:00

For the record, this problem also occurs on the 7130, with the same poor response from Dell

37 Posts

November 29th, 2015 20:00

Totally agree, I have a 1yr old 7130 that will not charge. Called support stated it was out of warranty and if it is a hardware issue (which it is. Light only comes on when I push cord in and hold it) it would cost me another $229 on top of what I've already paid.

I'm looking for a laptop now but it will not be a Dell. Quality has really gone done.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2015 15:00

I had the same problem, and faced the same support issue.  Although I can no longer charge my venue 7139 from the micro USB on the side.  I found that I can charge from the port on the bottom using a power cord from a Dell Latitude Dell tablet.

19V 1.58A 30W AC adapter for Dell Latitude ST Tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080KO9OA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

37 Posts

December 6th, 2015 12:00

Lichrist I am having the same problem as the micro USB port will no longer work and tech support is saying that I can send it in for repair at a cost of $229 with no garuntee on the work that will be done and the money must be paid upfront.

Please provide more info on how you are charging your system. If I purchase the powercord in the link you provided the tablet works then? At least you give me hope that I don't just have an expensive paper weight here. ANY INFO will be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2015 13:00

Yes,  I purchased the charge cable from amazon (they have an excellent return policy if it doesn't work for you).  The cable plugs into the dock port on the bottom of the tablet.  It charges the tablet just fine.  the downside is that I can't use my keyboard cover while charging.  Upside (other than having a working tablet again) is that this port seems much more robust, and it has a longer cord.  I can rotate the tablet 180° so the tablet is plugged in at the top, and use with a Bluetooth or USB keyboard and tablet stand just fine.

Good luck!

Lisa

5 Posts

December 6th, 2015 14:00

Thank you

I have ordered one - hopefully I can get both these machines working again. 

37 Posts

December 6th, 2015 14:00

Thank you so much!! I didn't know what to do.

37 Posts

December 12th, 2015 12:00

Wanted to report back that I got the cord indicated in the earlier post and it works great. I am back in business. Thank you again!!

No Events found!