Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2015 11:00

Defragmentation?

Re my Dell Venue 8 Pro, is there any benefit in defragmenting the drive? I assume that as it is solid state, there would be no benefit, in contrast to a disk drive, but would appreciate advice.  Many thanks.  Re the tablet, itself, it is working extremely well and I am very pleased with it!

915 Posts

February 10th, 2015 05:00

From what I have read, one should NOT defragment an SSD, as it is not necessary and wears the SSD down.

7 Posts

February 11th, 2015 06:00

Most defrag apps will not even run on an SSD drive. Windows itself manages SSD collection thru a process called TRIM, Intel SSD drives also provide an app that does the TRIM, basically cleanup and making small pockets of unused space available - and moving a few files into a more readily available location.

7 Posts

February 11th, 2015 07:00

Win 8.1 is smart enough to not run a defrag and to auto TRIM SSD's .. no need to do anything. It will actually show OPTIMIZE in the Win 8.1 defrag util - you can Run the optimize (TRIM) manually, it should be scheduled to run weekly and in some cases monthly. 

915 Posts

February 11th, 2015 10:00

A good info. sheet on Windows 8 Optimize / TRIM functioning--automatic, but also can be run manually.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8615-optimize-drives-defrag-hdd-trim-ssd-windows-8-a.html

28 Posts

February 11th, 2015 04:00

Many thanks for the advice. It confirmed what I thought might be the case but I didn't know that the SSD could be damaged!

28 Posts

February 11th, 2015 07:00

Many thanks, DLenos, for your explanation - I was not aware of the TRIM function and I have now looked it up on Wikipedia - very interesting! I assume that Windows 8.1 does this automatically but please advise if I have to start it manually. I have disabled the routine defragging on my tablet - not sure if this is strictly necessary as your post infers that it might well not operate at all on my tablet anyway. Presumably, disabling it will do no harm?

28 Posts

February 11th, 2015 11:00

Many thanks for all the advice and information - all my questions have been completely answered.

No Events found!