Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

September 13th, 2017 08:00

Latitude 11 5175 Power Limit Throttling

I just got a Latitude 11 5175 today and whenever I do anything cpu or graphic intense the CPU throttles within a Minute.
For example, when I play a game, the framerate is great with 40fps but drops down to 25fps after a minute.

Intel XTU shows that the CPU is Power Limit Throttling.
The temperature doesn't exceed 70°C, so its not a thermal issue.

Does anyone have an idea how to prevent this?

34 Posts

October 6th, 2017 15:00

no idea?

14 Posts

April 26th, 2018 08:00

I have this same issue and would love to find a solution.  It really impacts video rendering!

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 27th, 2018 06:00

@edit4everwrote:

I have this same issue and would love to find a solution.  It really impacts video rendering!

Hi edit4ever, 

Throttling is something that is normally done to protect the processor under intense activity. Due to the relatively thin and compact design of a tablet it won't have the same threshold as say a laptop. It's limits will be quite a bit lower. To determine if the system is working as designed can you help me with a few details please :-

a) Is this a new occurrence when video rendering or has the tablet always done this?
b) Are you in an environment where there are more than one of these identical tablets and others can run the same rendering without throttling?
c) Are you running the latest BIOS and drivers on the tablet? - Running our Command Update app will ensure everything is up to date.
d) If you run the hardware diags, does it return any errors or show strange proc behaviour (To access the diags, press and hold the volume Up button whilst powering on the tablet. From the boot menu, select diagnostics and the volume down button to enter)

Alan

14 Posts

May 9th, 2018 07:00

Thank you Alan-

All is normal, no errors on the latest bios and drivers.  The issue is that it seems that the default power limit throttling is set too low for the device.  It kicks in at around 12 seconds - turning off the turbo speed.  This was likely an effort to save power, but since the thermal limit is not even close to being reached at that point, the CPU is being very limited.  

If you are plugged into an AC power source, there should be an option to disable or change the power limit setting and just let the thermal limit take over.  What's the point of having a great cpu in there if the system can't use it.

I can use the Intel Extreme Tuning app to change the time limit to around 30 seconds or so - but even this isn't really sufficient.  Please ask the team to look at enabling an option for a different power limit setting when using AC.

Thank you again for your response.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 10th, 2018 01:00

Thanks for getting back to me. As per my last post, the system is working as designed. It's running an ultra low voltage processor without a fan. By their very nature they have a very low thermal design point. To ensure maximum thermal performance I would recommend having Speedstep and Turboboost enabled in the BIOS. It's also recommended to not use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on the tablet as it has not been certified for use on this system.

I think you may need a device with more capable hardware to carry out video rendering.

Alan

No Events found!