Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2003 19:00

1800fp shimmers, drives me nuts.

I have a six week old Dimension 4600, with an 1800fp LCD connected via DVI to the standard Nvidia 440mx card, running at native resolution, 1280x1024. The probelm is, it shimmers. Not like hot air above blacktop, but like gasoline on water, or one of those hidden eye pictures. It's particularly noticable with a white or whitish background. I do lots of reading off of it, but with the shimmer (I don't know what else to call it) it drives my eyes nuts, almost liek the refresh rate is too low (I know, refresh has nothing to do with LCD's, but that's what it FEELs like to my eyes.) I've tried playing with the settings (including following one of those optimization programs, turning both contrast and brightnes way way down, one down and the other up, right now I have brightness at 24 and contrast at 60) and other things, but I think the shimmer is just part of this otherwise big and beautiful monitor. It's good for gaming and watching DVD's, but... I have to read off of it. Questions: Is this, as I think, an inherent part of the monitor? (It's very uniform, I don't think it's broken or anything, just how the pixels line up) Have other people experienced/noticed this? Is there any way to get rid of it? If not, I need to sell it and get something I can eyeball in the store... It makes me want to go back to my now defunct INspiron 7000 14.1 inch 1024x768 LCD, which I could read from for hours.

64 Posts

November 5th, 2003 22:00

I have a 2000FP hooked up to my 4600 and I don't have any problems like you're describing.  I use 1152 x 864 at 32-bit with a refresh rate of 75 hertz.  I also have a 9800 pro vid card.

Don't know about refresh rates not impacting display quality on an flat panel but when I moved mine up to 75 hetz things seemed better.

But mine is connected through analog rather than the digital output.  I tried the digital output but had some problems and not enough time to futz with it.  In the long run though I need to use analog as I have two PCs connected to the monitor through a KVM switch.  My other PC (business) does not have a digital capable card.

Have you tried running the monitor on the analog output?  Is there a difference in the quality?  Supposedly digital is better but I've read about other people having problems with the digital output of their cards.

149 Posts

November 6th, 2003 17:00

I'd try it with another computer or video card.   I suspect the card.   I've had mine almost a year with the ATI 9700pro and it's as sharp as ever..no problems.   It usually only represents what the video card/driver sends to it.   Good luck.

MENTOR00
100% OEM....Dimension 8250 ...BIOS A04, Office XP Pro, XP Pro sp-1, 1.5 rdram 1066, 200hd,1800fp, IBM 8514, IBM Model 70, audigy2, ada 995's, 9700pro, HP d145, Laserjet III, 16x Lite-on 163, 4x Nec 1100a.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2003 19:00

I think it's the screen and not the card because if you move your head side to side, it does the shimmer/sparkle thing. I'll try to find another card to test it with.

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

November 9th, 2003 00:00

I have 1800FP with Dell 8300, 128 DDR ATI Radeon9800 pro, DVI connected, 1280x1024, 32 bit colour, 60Hz refresh rate (the default, indeed if I check hide unsupported refresh rates it only gives 60Hz as the choice)). Color management is 1800FP.ICM. Brightness contrast 96/100. It is rock steady no shimmer or moire fringes, no missing pixels. Maybe my old eyes are less sensitive than yours...

140 Posts

November 15th, 2003 23:00

I don't have this specific monitor but I think it may be the DVI connection. I have had the 1901FP for five days now. I originally hooked it up via analog. When I switched it to DVI, I immediately saw screen flicker and the wobblies when autoscrolling on web sites. I autoscroll constantly so this is not acceptable. This problem did not exist using analog. I called tech support and was told the problem would be solved with the new drivers for NVidia card I have. That did not solve the problem. So try using analog.
No Events found!