Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2007 16:00

2405FPW Firmware Update for HDCP?

Hi,

Is there a firmware update for the 2405FPW to allow it to display HDCP signals?

Thanks
Rael

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 22nd, 2007 18:00

Raeldor,

Nope.

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 18:00

Is there a reason why you guys don't seem to issue firmware updates for monitors?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 23rd, 2007 11:00

Raeldor,

Unnecessary firmware updates on a "marketing end of life" monitor would hinder sales of our current HDCP monitors.

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2007 13:00

Interesting; I would have called it good customer service. Most manufacturers these days give free download and upgrade of firmware. If I had to buy a new router everytime there was a firmware upgrade I'd be pretty unhappy. If you're just releasing new monitors with nothing much more than a firmware upgrade to get customers to buy new ones, that's pretty shady in my opinion.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 23rd, 2007 14:00

Raeldor,

"Most manufacturers these days give free download and upgrade of firmware."

* That is not true in the case of new technology. They may give you a free download and upgrade of firmware to correct issues with their current hardware or software, but, they are not going to give you new technology on old equipment for free.

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2007 15:00

I would have to disagree. I have downloaded new firmware since I got my router to give me WPA in addition to WEP, and new firmware for my MP3 player to give me WMA as well as MP3 playback. All new technologies since the product was first released.

I guess it's just a bitter pill to swallow to have to buy new hardware when only software has changed. I understand that software like hardware is a also a product that incurs development cost. I think for your existing customers it would be nice to see an option to buy updated firmware for the 2405FPW to support HDCP. Would it be possible to push this idea forward to the relevant party?

January 23rd, 2007 21:00

Manufacturers of LCD's are starting to offer firmware upgrades or updates thru USB thumb drives.

Download updates, drag to thumb drive, plug drive it into the USB port on the monitor, push a sequence of buttons and the firmware is updated. :)

Wrote about it here months ago and others are doing it now:)

No more sending in the monitor, getting a refurb back or having a service tech come out to do it or just stand there and look puzzled :)

January 24th, 2007 15:00

So should I return my 24" LCD monitor I purchased this month and wait for the "newer" 24" model? Seriously, I need to know now if possible.

Ninefingers

10 Posts

March 5th, 2008 03:00

How would one go about purchasing the update from a manufacturing company? Or find out what manufacturing company actually made the "Dell 2405FPW"?

Thanks

1 Message

December 24th, 2011 14:00

Well I have the same problem with the same Monitor. After hereing this I will be looking elsewhere for a new Monitor.

Dan

No Events found!