Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 27th, 2008 23:00

2408WFP A00/A01 owners - First test you should do it (IMHO).

English is not my first language. I apologize in advance.

Seriously though, the Dell 2408WFP doesn't have an "E" letter in front of its name, like E248WFP does. So, and acordding at its price, customers assume that the 2408WFP is the Dell's 24" monitor aimed at medium/high-end market and designed to an advanced/professional usage. Obviously, advanced/professional users really need that their monitors display an image like the image actually is. Let's try a check to see how good the 24008WFP is doing that simple function.

The image below has 6 equal columns, six identical columns (image made by ToastX, from hardforum). You should NOT notice any difference with each others. Please, could you download the image (click on link, then, right click on image "Save image as..." ) and display it at full screen on your 2408WFP A00/A01?

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pvatest1920x1200cv1.jpg

Can you see all columns like they actually are or you can see clear differences of bright/contrast (specially if you compare first and last column)? Well, is this the monitor "designed and built to our highest standards, providing the quality and reliability you expect when you see the Dell logo. Each has been exhaustively tested" Dell claims? That everyone answer himself because Dell's answer to date is the silence.

I hope my english was good enough to be understood.

Regards.

Message Edited by Argonauta on 05-28-2008 01:30 AM

19 Posts

May 28th, 2008 00:00

Is A01 out yet?  Dell said they wouldn't ship until mid July, so how would anyone have one to even test?

93 Posts

May 28th, 2008 06:00

My A00 has a garbage left side which is brighter than the rest of the monitor, but then again all the 2408WFP monitors have this "lovely" defect. It's a seriously shoddy monitor and it sure doesn't live up the sales text. In fact the sales text on Dell's website is completely fraudulent when you see the image this monitor is capable of producing.

80 Posts

May 28th, 2008 09:00

Dell could and should be described as criminals for continuing to sell such cheap shoddy rubbish like the 2408

In the UK they are breaking every rule in the book by selling an item which is not fit for its intended purpose

93 Posts

May 28th, 2008 17:00

@NicoloPicolo wrote:

Ok,

I just got my new 2408 this morning (a revision A00).

I tried your wallpaper and I see nothing but the same images on all the monitor.

Maybe it's my eyes :smileyhappy:

I don't know if I have to feel lucky but great monitor for me !

If you are in a well lit room or a room with lots of daylight it won't be immediately noticeable, but try a dark room where the monitor is the brightest source of light and I'll bet that you will notice the image getting brighter towards the left side.

This issue generally doesn't bother me during the day, but at night where I mostly use my 2408WFP it is very apparent on images such as the one posted here.

May 28th, 2008 17:00

Ok,

I just got my new 2408 this morning (a revision A00).

I tried your wallpaper and I see nothing but the same images on all the monitor.

Maybe it's my eyes :smileyhappy:

I don't know if I have to feel lucky but great monitor for me !

May 28th, 2008 18:00

Hum, ok I'll test it tonight.

But I am in a pretty dark room (a lot of trees in the garden :manwink:)

I'll give you more feedback tonight.

4 Posts

May 28th, 2008 19:00

Just tried your test and there's a definite lack of contrast in the two left-most images, most noticeable where the tree bark is darkest in all the other images down the left side of the image.The image doesn't appear washed out though,just lacking in the deeper hues.

On a plain white background the entire left-hand 20-25% of my 2408 is imbued with a noticeable pinkish tinge - highly unsatisfactory to say the least and I'm wondering if I'll be able to live with it.Fortunately dvd playback seems unaffected so far and image editing in Photoshop appears relatively normal - I'm not a professional image editor thankfully but I did buy this monitor with the intention of developing my skills with what I'd been led to believe was a reliable and accurate display.I'm not happy.

80 Posts

May 29th, 2008 03:00

NicoloPicolo, try clicking this link and check the website background image HERE i bet that clearly shows the brightness on the left side

37 Posts

May 29th, 2008 06:00

I was a A00 owner and had the left side brighter than the rest of the screen issue.

I returned it and am waiting to see if A01 addresses and fixes this.

It is especially noticable on this website: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264046

The left side is brighter.

Do you notice it on your 2408WFPs? 

80 Posts

May 29th, 2008 09:00

it stands out a mile

Dell support guys on here posted a list of fixes that REVA01 will fix and there was no mention of the left side brightness issue, Dell arent even recognising the problem exists.

May 29th, 2008 12:00

ok,

I tested it in the dark = No bright left side :smileyhappy:

By the way revision A01 should be out mid-july...

93 Posts

May 29th, 2008 13:00

@NicoloPicolo wrote:

ok,

I tested it in the dark = No bright left side :smileyhappy:

Hmn, then you might be the lucky owner of the only non-defect 2408WFP monitor. But if that's true, there is hope still that Dell might be able to actually deliver 2408WFP monitors without this defect.
Where was yours manufactured? It should say on the sticker on the back of the monitor.
We still need word from Dell concerning this issue. 
Message Edited by KoBo on 05-29-2008 09:12 AM

71 Posts

May 29th, 2008 15:00

I ordered mine May 21, 2008 and today DELL offered with $100 off ( + EPP 5% off ) so i canceled my order and re ordered with new price. The Rep said, he verified with the technical department and they will ship me A01. I don't know if its true or not. He works under EPP department. He said my delivery date will be June 20 - 25th
Message Edited by nmayooran on 05-29-2008 11:17 AM

9 Posts

June 7th, 2008 23:00

Just Recieved my 2408 yesterday. Dell shipped it to me overnight for free! Basically I recieved this monitor 3 days after placing my order. Way to go Dell!

Did your test, thanks. I did notice a little bit of brightening in the last image to the left. Nothing that noticible and definitely not a bother for me. After doing some gamma calibration and color, bightness contrast adjustment, what little brighteneing there was is now gone and the entitre image is uniform in brightness. The contrast is insane. Blackest blacks are very dark. its very nice.

I love this monitor, its exactly what I was looking for.

37 Posts

June 8th, 2008 01:00

Is yours a A00 or A01?
No Events found!