Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2009 20:00

2408WFP, not going into sleep mode when connected to VGA

Hi,

I've got a pair of Dell 2408wfp's (A01 & A02), that are connected via a VGA kvm. When the computer turns the monitor's off, the monitors show a "No VGA Cable" message that bounces around the screen instead of allowing the monitor to go to sleep. Is there a way I can get the monitor to go into sleep mode instead of having the "No VGA Cable" message bounce around? Is it the KVM that is causing this?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 16th, 2009 08:00

Please test them without the KVM.

November 13th, 2009 08:00

I have a very similar problem.  I'm using the 2408WFP at work with my laptop.  I'm using the DVI input to the monitor.

When I unplug the laptop to go home, the monitor will *NEVER* go into power save mode.  When I come in the next morning, it is hot, and displaying the romaing "NO DVI-D1 Cable".  I looked around for option settings that might change this behavior, but there are none.

So I have two questions.  (1) Is there a way, other than having to turn it off manually each time, to make it sleep automatically when I disconnect the DVI cable?

(2) How can this monitor be called "energy star" with such atrocious energy wasting behavior in this very common situation?

---D. Sleator

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 14th, 2009 23:00

With nothing connected to the VGA, press the Input Source Select button and switch to VGA. Does the monitor go to sleep?

November 16th, 2009 08:00

No.  The monitor displays the roving "no VGA cable" box forever.

--DS

December 3rd, 2009 12:00

Happened again last night --- stupid monitor stayed on all night long with no computer hooked up.

Nobody has anything to say about this?  Can't we have a firmware upgrade that deals with this?

--D. Sleator

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 13:00

DannySleator,

I just tested this on a 2208WFP and 2407WFP-HC. When they are on and the video card cable is disconnected, the no cable floating box appears, but the monitors do not go into any sleep mode.

No Events found!