Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2008 20:00

2408wfp A01 Left side is it still brigther?

Hi,

I was a 2408wfp A00 custoerm who returned it due teo a noticable left side brighter issue.

What i want to know is if the current revision, A01 or later, still ahve this problem?

I am looking to buy again if this issue has been resolved.

There was signifiacnt backlight bleed and a much brighter left side of the monitor on my A00.

I like to know if these unevenbrightness issues have been solved or not on current 2408wfps.

Thanks for letting me know.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2008 07:00

I just received an A01 and came to this site because I was distressed by a very bright band on the left side of my monitor (left side brighter). Seems it is a common issue with this panel. Unfortunately, it causes big issues with image adjusting, and I can verify that the firmware A01 has not solved the issue. I also have the red text issues that are widely reported.

January 1st, 2009 01:00

I just received my new 2408wfp A01 on the 23rd and the one I got seems to be worse than the one that I returned..  I am currently on my 4th replacement now (the last 3 have been rev A01 both refurbs and new units) and the issue really varies from monitor to monitor. This was my first Dell monitor I purchased and I can guarantee you that it will be my last.  I honestly don't know how they can ship these things from the factory with such poor backlighting performance.  I know it has been stated by Dell in another thread that all 2408s are within "spec" and you need to look at a higher end professional monitor if you want better performance- but really?  It is an ULTRASHARP $700.00 monitor, which Dell touts as "110% color gamut" and "3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio", but none of that matters at all since the monitor can't even display a solid color across the monitor without it looking like a terrible gradient.  I can't even tell you how many hours I've wasted dealing with this stupid monitor, which is quite sad considering all I want is a monitor that works. In short, no- the problem isn't fixed, and Dell isn't doing anything about it except wasting my time and causing frustration.  My recomendation is to close this webpage right now and go shop for another brand- what I should have done 10 months ago..

Dell, if your listening- all I want is what I paid for, which is a working monitor.

12 Posts

January 1st, 2009 18:00

I also have the problem with the left side much brighter than the rest of the screen and this is my second monitor. I did an exchange and recieved a new one with the same exact problem. I do not want to exchange again and get a refurbished monitor. But at the same time am dissappointed. During the windows login screen the bottom left corner is purple not blue, and both monitors did this.

12 Posts

January 1st, 2009 19:00

I would send back the refurbished monitor if they are both the same. I personally asked if they were going to send a new one and they did. I am too surprised that the brightness issue has not been addressed. I have not noticed the problem with text though.

Did you notice the problem with the windows login screen where the left bottom corner is purple instead of blue???

2 Posts

January 1st, 2009 19:00

Well, I spoke to Dell and requested a replacement on 12/30. I have to give them some credit because they overnighted the replacement, which I received on 12/31. However, the replacement was a refurb, and that's just not cool. Had I wanted a refurb, I could have paid a lot less.

Secondly, this replacement has the exact same issues: brighter left side and red and or green aura text. The left side issue is a deal killer when adjusting digital images. Even if this one were good, I would think I would be deserving of a substantial discount since they gave me a refurb. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. This is an awesome panel except for those two key defects.

January 1st, 2009 23:00

Even if this one were good, I would think I would be deserving of a substantial discount since they gave me a refurb.

Exactly my thoughts! I mean, we go out and spend all this money on a NEW monitor and have to return it because of an unusable manufacturer defect and they replace it with a refurbished one.. Dell should just say on the site that "hey, you will need to return this after you get it, but we are going to give you a used one"  I got so annoyed when they told me that the first time, that they ended up sending me a new one which turned out to be worse than my original one.. go figure..

If anyone has any comments or similar experiences, please post them! I would love to hear.

January 2nd, 2009 00:00

Seriously will anyone acknowledge my comments? Does anyone else notice during the windows login screen that the bottom left corner is purple rather than blue?

I am running Vista Business SP1 32-bit with Nvidia 8800GT over DVI and I don't notice any purple or strange colors.  Could you be more specific as to your configuration?  I have heard about "text" issues with purple/pink colors, but I have never experienced any of that.  I used to run XP a while back and I don't remember anything color-wise with that either.

12 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 00:00

Seriously will anyone acknowledge my comments? Does anyone else notice during the windows login screen that the bottom left corner is purple rather than blue?

12 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 01:00

I am running XP MCE 2005 with a 6800 AGP nvidia video card. I have connected this video card to my Sony HDTV via DVI to HDMI, I have connected it to my older 19" Gateway CRT, and now I have connected it to the Dell 2408wfp over DVI and during the windows welcome screen the bottom left corner is purple instead of blue. I believe this is because of the uneven brightness. The other monitor and TV have no issues. I have used the Dell profile for the 2408wfp from the CD, reduced the brightness setting, and adjusted the RGB custom settings.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/HT0_000/SP32-20040627-224048.gif

thats the welcome/login screen I am referring to. Check it next time you restart your PC please

January 2nd, 2009 02:00

Check it next time you restart your PC please

Using XP Pro SP3 it appears purple as well.  Although, I think that is how it is supposed to be- because I ran it in a Virtual Machine and took a screenshot of it. The color on the left-hand side of the linear gradient is #3833AC which is purple. Check the link below, and translate the image to the right-hand side of the screen and you will notice that it just gets slightly darker, but not blue.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7083/logintr4.png

12 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

I guess it is just very noticable because the left is brighter. Thanks for confirming I am not the only one.

197 Posts

January 12th, 2009 19:00

There is nothing wrong with your monitor.  All PVA panels have a color shift that will show it bright on one side when looking at it in the middle.

January 12th, 2009 20:00

All PVA panels have a color shift that will show it bright on one side when looking at it in the middle

This is different, because even when you look right at the left side it still is bright. Plus, I have heard that other monitors that use the same panel as this one do not exhibit this problem (I can't seem to remember who makes the panel anymore).

I have created some samples of what it looks like when a grey color is displayed on the screen.  The first is the original that actually has the brightness as close as I could match it to the problem. The second has red shading to show where the problem occurs incase you can't see it with the normal color.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/3483/problemorigcp0.png

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6339/problemredgb3.png

Any ideas? Anyone? Dell?

1 Message

March 31st, 2009 17:00

I just purchased this monitor new from Dell site and mine has terrible bright left side and even a dark shadow running all the way down the right side about an inch in from side. The was my first Dell purchase after hearing so many good things about the monitors... I tried to find out as much as possible about this montior before buying but didn't know anything about the bright left side until I saw it for myself and searched and found this post...

I am very disappointed to find out that a replacement will end up being the same... because this is one beautiful monitor!

April 1st, 2009 06:00

I`m also thinking of buying this monitor but i`ve heard there is still some issues with this latest rev (A01) and i need to be sure they have fixed it before i spend this kind of money for it , i`m sorry to hear about your monitor and the leftside brightness issue. I looked at the screenshots in this thread showing the problem and it looks terrible.

Someone from Dell, can you please comment and clarify on this subject?

Thanks

Peter.

No Events found!