Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 30th, 2018 16:00

AW2518HF, GTX 1060, DP, flickering at all refresh rates

Currently using gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB Wind Force( HDMI 2.0b and DP 1.4 compatible). Had tried two DP cable brand already, amazon basic and a third-party brand, both not working at all! Now I'm wondering which device is not running properly, monitor or the video card? HDMI 2.0 runs 240Hz perfectly, only DP socket that gives me black screens and flickering occasionally, also white bars appear on the screen when blinking. Nvidia graphics driver is the newest one running, all application on windows 10 newest update.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 31st, 2018 15:00

First, let's clarify which monitor you have there.

* The AW2518HF is an AMD FreeSync  monitor
* Sales site states, "25" gaming monitor with 240Hz refresh rate and 1-ms response time. Featuring AMD FreeSync technology for effortlessly smooth gaming."

* The AW2518H is a NVIDIA G-Sync  monitor
* Sales site states, "25" gaming monitor with 240Hz refresh rate and 1-ms response time. Featuring NVIDIA G-Sync technology and custom AlienFX lighting."

2 Posts

May 31st, 2018 19:00

Hi Chris,

I had the AW2518HF AMD FreeSync model which I'm aware of and I'm currently using Adaptive Sync paired with Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. 

Adaptive-sync is the fundamental of both Freesync and Gsynyc am I correct? So, using this mode on DP shouldn't cause any trouble.

Debugging is just too hard for Passionist like me in a brand new field, I had no experience with DP port before I became an Alienware Customer.

Constant flickering with white bars really hurts me in the eyes while playing games and screen blackout within 1 min then resume to normal condition after few second when watching youtube if I put the DP on. 

However, I had to use the HDMI cable to keep monitor work flawlessly. And I wish to save my two precious HDMI ports for consoles (ps4 and Xbox), so all my gaming platform can be managed on one desk.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 1st, 2018 06:00

Adaptive-sync is the fundamental of both FreeSync and G-sync am I correct? So, using this mode on DP shouldn't cause any trouble.
* I disagree with that opinion. If the adaptive-sync were "cross company/platform" as you suggest, then why would Dell spell out the differences in both the User's Guides and sales pages? Why would we sell two monitors? If truly "cross company/platform", we would not offer two models.

You have two choices =
* Return the AW2518HF and purchase the AW2518H
* Remove the Nvidia GTX 1060 and install an AMD video card =
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
AMD Radeon R9 360
AMD Radeon R9 295X2
AMD Radeon R9 290X
AMD Radeon R9 290
AMD Radeon R9 285
AMD Radeon R7 360
AMD Radeon R7 260X
AMD Radeon R7 260