Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2004 09:00

Auto shut-down not working

New 8400...three weeks old. Need help please. I have set my monitor to auto shut-down after 20 minutes (Energy Saver). Worked fine for a week. Now it does not shut down, nor does the screensaver (Standard MS XP via ControlPanel/Display ) begin after the 8 minutes set at present. Have tried several seetings, but neither will become operational after the time I have set. Anyone have a clue as to why nothing works as it did out of the box? Thank you.

179 Posts

October 29th, 2004 12:00

Have you been into the BIOS lately? Sometimes items in the BIOS get turned on just from viewing the settings. It's possible that your BIOS has been set to "ignore OS", or you inadvertedly turned on a power down setting. Just a guess?

179 Posts

October 29th, 2004 13:00

No, it all depends on the BIOS. My Asus Mobo has a Phoenix BIOS that has a setting to ignore the O.S. This applies to interupt, power functions, parallel and serial com. You have to be careful about blaming Windows for everything.

31 Posts

October 29th, 2004 13:00

The Energy-Saver function is both a Windows function and a monitor function (circiutry in the monitor recieves the signal from the computer's OS to power off and on).
The screensaver, though, is purely an OS function; the monitor doesn't know or care was graphical info is sent to it. I'd say this problem is with Windows settings.

31 Posts

October 29th, 2004 21:00

You might be exactly right - not blaming Windows for everything. We have nothing but Dells, not Asus. None of the dozens of models we have a Pheonix BIOS, nor include an "ignore OS" setting. Not saying there can't be one. We each gave answers that are accurate for different situations.

I believe the Dimension 8400 comes with an Intel BIOS, not Pheonix. I never saw an Intel BIOS with an "ignor OS", but Hank will have to tell us. I have a Dimension 2400 at home with Intel BIOS, but not a single Dimension at work. Just Precisions, Optiplex's, and Latitudes - all with Intel BIOS.

Can you tell us your BIOS and BIOS version, Hank?

No Events found!