Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2015 18:00

DDM (Dell Display Manager) feature suggestion

Hi there,

I have a Dell monitor that comes with the Dell Display Manager tray application. I have a suggestion for improving this application. Every morning I manually turn up the brightness and every evening I turn it down again. It would be great if the display manager application could do this automatically at pre-set times. Not sure where else to post this, so I've put it here.

Regards,
Rob

14 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 23:00

There's an app that does that called f.lux

https://justgetflux.com/

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 21:00

Thanks for the link. It looks like it modifies the colours, which I don't want, but I'll check it out any and see if it will just do the brightness.

Regards
Rob

14 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 22:00

Ah, good point. If you need accurate colour for whatever you're doing on your monitor, it's not a good solution. But for me, I find it so relaxing on the eyes to have the app adjust my monitor settings based on the time of day.

234 Posts

February 4th, 2015 05:00

EnTech's mControl includes a power conservation option that uses circadian logic to sync brightness levels to dusk and dawn, but it doesn't really coexist well with advanced displays that have ambient light sensors and other enegry saving features, or monitor firmware that links fixed brightness levels to preset modes.

As suggested, you may be better off using something like flux, which adjusts the GPU gamma ramp (at small cost to color resolution and fidelity) rather than the monitor.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2015 09:00

Great idea.

For monitors with integrated camera, like the UZ2315H, the camera can be used to measure light intensity and adjust accordingly.

Regards,

Theodore

234 Posts

February 11th, 2015 04:00

Try this:

1. Create a Windows shortcut to DDM named "Daytime", with the following parameters: "ddm.exe /SetBrightnessLevel dd", where dd is the brightness value you use during daylight hours in percent (so dd=90 for 90%)

2. Create another Windows shortcut to DDM named "Nighttime", with the following parameters: "ddm.exe /SetBrightnessLevel nn", where nn is the brightness value you use during nighttime hours in percent (so nn=60 for 60%)

For added convenience assign a Windows shortcut hotkey to these 2 shortcuts so you can trigger easily and at will.

3 Posts

February 11th, 2015 17:00

That works perfectly.. and saves all the fiddling around. Thanks for that!

Rob

No Events found!