Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2009 17:00

Dell E228WFP Backlight failure

In October 12, 2008 I purchased a Dell E228WFP monitor from Walmart.com....fast forward to May 1, 2009 and the backlight fails.....I followed instructions I saw posted by Dell- Mike M :

"Monitor Replacement for Shelf-Stock Purchases
For customers who purchase a monitor from a shelf-stock retailer and who require service under Dell’s limited hardware warranty, the technician should ask their L2 to submit a Fusion request to get a Customer number created. This will take time. Once the Customer number is created, the technician can then setup a monitor exchange.

(1) Contact Dell Technical Support. Have them open up DSN and search for 159380
Cick the Articles tab
Click Products Sold Through Retailer (Co 09) Policy and Procedure - CTS/DOC
Click Monitor Replacement for Shelf-Stock Purchases

(2) Provide the following information to the technician
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left:
Reason: List specific failure"

I have called Dell Customer Service Direct 3 times, got connected to someone who would "help" me. Halfway through the instructions...the phone went dead.......(OK they hung up). This has happened 3 time already. This is ridiculous..............On my desk is a completed Middlesex County NJ Department of consumer Affairs form complete with all requested documentation. I don't want to take that route.....can anyone suggest how to get someone at Dell to listen!!!

Thanks,

Joe

872 Posts

May 11th, 2009 17:00

2 Posts

May 11th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the info. However, as far as I can tell, I cannot use Dell Chat Online without a service tag number. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

1 Message

May 30th, 2009 19:00

I had exactly the same problem.   A bad backlight, and a monitor with no service tag number (because it was bought by itself, and not as part of a dell system)   I had to use the phone (800) 624-9896   -  it took some time to navigate the menus, but once I got to a person they wanted my order number.  Now, I still have the packing slip (It was in the original box, and I tend to keep original boxes for large, hard-to-pack things)   so I gave them the order number,   explained the troubleshooting steps I took (that is, I plugged it into another computer, it still only came on momentarily before powering off and that the same thing happens when you turn on the monitor by itself;  you momentairly see the 'no signal' thing, then it goes dark.)   and according to the person there should be a new monitor on my doorstep sometime next week.  

excuse me, now, while I perminantly affix the order number for all my dell monitors.

(Dell, you could make many of your disorganized customers much happier by putting the number your support people need on the monitor itself.  Generally speaking, I value a warranty that requires original packing materials or original invoices  the same as  no warranty at all.  the only reason I had the order number was that I don't buy very many monitors.)

June 17th, 2009 18:00

Ok, Dell seriously needs to take note of this.  I just got done with Dell Tech Support earlier today, they are sending me a refurbished E228WFP.  These monitors had to have been a bad batch, since I ordered mine new in November 08 (straight from Dell.com) and now June 09 my backlight failed.

Ask to speak to a senior tech.  Tell him it is the backlight, that you will not troubleshoot since you already have and that you want a replacement immediately.  The units are covered by a 3 year factory warranty for defects.

Good luck, hopefully our refurb units work for at least the 3 year warranty period.  After that, I'm buying another brand of monitor.

Sorry Dell, but your service is ridiculous.  You have to know about these problems, and yet you still want to go through a troubleshooting script over the phone and take close to an hour (at the very least) to get an exchange.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 18th, 2009 07:00

There was not a bad "batch". If the monitor is defective, get it replaced. If you only have a monitor order number, you should contact Customer Service. If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell PC, contact Technical Support. They will need the following -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason: Monitor Backlight Failure

June 18th, 2009 08:00

Oh really?  Guess that's why the OP had almost the exact same timeframe from purchase to failure as I did.  LCDs are produced by the millions, there is always the possibility of a bad "batch" of components whether it be capacitors, inverter PCB or backlight tube itself.

Your post is worthless.  Others have already posted how to contact Dell support.

Don't deny that a number of monitors from a certain manufacture date are defective, TAKE NOTE of it so customers don't have to spend hours on the phone getting it replaced.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 18th, 2009 09:00

I guess we can agree to disagree on the definition of a "batch". I would appreciate if you would not attack me and change your tone. We all try to maintain a professional demeanor out here.

June 18th, 2009 11:00

If you're trying to maintain a professional demeanor, than you should treat customers (such as myself) who are IT professionals as such.  I did not attack you at all.  I apologize if you think this is the case.  I attacked (argued) what you posted.  Mostly because it contributed nothing to the discussion.  If you don't see a pattern in the failure rates from this production date range, I don't know what to tell you.  I'm sure you do all you can to help Dell customers, and I respect that, but I have found Dell's scripted troubleshooting to be a waste of time to customers of almost any computer knowledge level.  When someone calls and says the backlight has failed in their monitor, chances are they have troubleshooted, probably done an internet search, and found the problem.  I depend on my equipment, and just because it's purchased from Dell's consumer site doesn't mean I shouldn't have competent tech support people to contact.  When I have to take 2-3 hours out of my time to be transferred through 5 different people who refuse to recognize the problem and want me to troubleshoot when I already have, that's not very professional on Dell's side.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 18th, 2009 14:00

I guess we can agree to disagree on the definition of a "batch". I would appreciate if you would not attack me and change your tone. We all try to maintain a professional demeanor out here.

To back Chris, 3 or 4 monitors having similar symptoms isn't worth claiming there was a 'bad batch'. I have no idea how many monitors Dell shipped of this kind around that time, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's over 100,000 (Dell ships millions of PC per month (source: here ("Dell ships about 140,000 systems per day on average")). Granted, not everyone posts here, but 3 or 4 reported failures don't make a "batch".

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 18th, 2009 14:00

Understood. In my doings on the forum, if a customer says the backlight failed, I ask them to do the simple and quick STFC (Self Test Feature Check).  Once done, I replace the monitor. That should be all the troubleshooting any Dell technician should do for this issue.

December 28th, 2009 13:00

Hello, I have the same problem with my monitor, and today I used the service tag of my newest Dell computer to get the chat session going, and after explaining exactly what the problem was and that the problem was not with the computer that was connected to the service tag I entered, I gave the 21 digit number on the back of the monitor. With approximately a half hour invested I have a new monitor on the way.

I must say that I was expecting a more difficult time. I'll post again If/When I receive the new one to update the process.

Jason

5 Posts

December 28th, 2009 16:00

I also am in a similar situation. My E228WFP also has backlight failure less than 1.5 years after purchase from Best Buy. I think there is a problem with the E228WFPs. You can also refer to this thread for others experiencing the same problem in approximately the same timeframe after purchase (constant use):

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19245356.aspx?PageIndex=3

Unfortunately, while support submitted a request to create a number for me, no one ever got back to me, over 1 1/2 weeks later. Not sure if I should call back, I guess I'll try again sometime this week.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 28th, 2009 17:00

Before the monitor can be exchanged, an order number has to be created. Did they tell you the Fusion ID number? Send me the following in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message) -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason: Retail monitor ownership transfer. E228WFP Backlight Failure

January 5th, 2010 18:00

Well, perhaps I'm an exceptiion, and have been waiting until after I've received the new monitor and tested it for a while before updating my information.

I'm happy to say that my monitor was sent to me via next day shipping, and I have a prepaid shipping label to send back the defective one. I never received an order number or a Fusion ID number?, altough I did receive a "confirmation" number to reference the chat session I had with my Dell agent.

In all the years I've dealt with Dell, either buying or selling, this transaction has impressed me the most. Thank you Dell for handling this matter promptly.

1 Message

January 20th, 2010 17:00

I'm checking in here with a backlight dead e228wfpc that was delivered to my inventory room today. It's one of 3- e228wfps in my office, which has probably 700-800 dell 17-20" monitors throughout that have been ticking for a fantastic amount of time, 24/7 (3+ years).

This guy has a manufacture date of May 2008, I believe it was used for 4-5mos although I couldn't give specifics of that.

Well, on to the RMA process.

No Events found!