Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2010 12:00

Dell S2409W HDMI problem

Ok so my Monitor was working fine until like 2 days ago when I switched from HDMI to DVI and back the screen like was on like it could sense the HDMI single (the power light was white) but the screen  was complete black, I called tech support and they sent me new monitor and within 1 hour it had the same prob, they are sending me another monitor and is there a way to prevent this? Its defiantly not the PS3 or the cable because I hooked it up to my bros Olivia HDTV and played on it for several hours when I was waiting for the replacement to come and nothing happened. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to prevent it?

I am scared to change the input on the replacements replacement monitor in fear of it happening again :(

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 12th, 2010 13:00

When it occured, did you disconnect the HDMI from the monitor and reconnect it so the it could re-initialize the HDMI?

So you have the PS3 connected to the monitor HDMI and a computer connected to the monitor DVI at the same time? Next time it occurs, leave them both on and connected to the monitor. Turn the monitor off. Disconnect the monitor power cord. Hold in the monitor power button for 10 seconds. Reconnect the monitor power cord. Switch to HDMI via the monitor Input Source Select button. Does the PS3 appear?

6 Posts

January 12th, 2010 13:00

Nope and I tried turning it off and taking the power cable out and holding the power button down for 10 sec and it still wont work. 

2 Posts

January 12th, 2010 19:00

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM WITH TWO OF MY S2409Ws!!! I havent called in for warranty yet though. It happend with my first monitor so then i just shrugged it off and started using my 2nd, then now my 2nd stopped working.. But my 1st is working again!! So it seems like a temporary problem for the monitor..?

6 Posts

January 12th, 2010 20:00

Ya, I posted that I fixed it after I tried the second time but I put OMG but with a F in there and they removed my post.

2 Posts

Ooh! Thanks! it fixed it right up! :D

6 Posts

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM WITH TWO OF MY S2409Ws!!! I havent called in for warranty yet though. It happend with my first monitor so then i just shrugged it off and started using my 2nd, then now my 2nd stopped working.. But my 1st is working again!! So it seems like a temporary problem for the monitor..?

Do what the Rep said, it fixed mine.

When it occured, did you disconnect the HDMI from the monitor and reconnect it so the it could re-initialize the HDMI?

So you have the PS3 connected to the monitor HDMI and a computer connected to the monitor DVI at the same time? Next time it occurs, leave them both on and connected to the monitor. Turn the monitor off. Disconnect the monitor power cord. Hold in the monitor power button for 10 seconds. Reconnect the monitor power cord. Switch to HDMI via the monitor Input Source Select button. Does the PS3 appear?

1 Message

March 4th, 2010 14:00

I have had 2 previous S2409W with the same problem. Was playing on the PS3 and all of a sudden the screen went blank. I got the 2 replaced under warranty, had the same problem this evening and thought great here we go again monitor number 4 on its way. Tried the Power off Unplug cable and hold button for 10 seconds and it seems to have cured the problem! Great!! Thanks!! Now why couldn't dell technical support tell me to do this when the first one broke?

6 Posts

March 5th, 2010 23:00

I have had 2 previous S2409W with the same problem. Was playing on the PS3 and all of a sudden the screen went blank. I got the 2 replaced under warranty, had the same problem this evening and thought great here we go again monitor number 4 on its way. Tried the Power off Unplug cable and hold button for 10 seconds and it seems to have cured the problem! Great!! Thanks!! Now why couldn't dell technical support tell me to do this when the first one broke?

I know, eh.

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 00:00

I actually just got my S2409W like 3 weeks ago and i got it connected to my laptop via VGA and also to my Xbox 360 via HDMI. and just today i turned it on to the HDMI input to play Xbox and the screen just had black and grey lines across it, but i still see the Xbox menu its just all distorted. and the screen goes black every 3-5 seconds.

I already tried all that unplugging the power cord and any other solutioin i could find to try and resolve this even replacing the HDMI cable but nothing is working.

also called tech support but the guy said that it had to do with my graphics card on my laptop..which made no sense to me, so i tried to update the driver..still no luck. 

I really don't know what to do and its hard getting any help from tech support with out the service tag, or order number.

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 04:00

Do you have any friends or relatives with HDTVs (with HDMI) that you can try your Xbox 360 on to make sure the 360 isn't broken? or another HDMI device to try on your monitor? 

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 16:00

i just connected my friends Xbox using the same HDMI cord, and its prefectly fine..i guess its my xbox.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2014 11:00

Hi Chris, I thoroughly followed the steps you provided multiple times, but I am still get no hdmi connected error. My monitor was connected to PS3 and one day I disconnect HDMI and connect it to laptop via VGA for few hours. Now I only have HDMI and power cord connected on monitor and it is giving me an error. It connects succesfully with laptop via vga when i try it. Please help..

"So you have the PS3 connected to the monitor HDMI and a computer connected to the monitor DVI at the same time? Next time it occurs, leave them both on and connected to the monitor. Turn the monitor off. Disconnect the monitor power cord. Hold in the monitor power button for 10 seconds. Reconnect the monitor power cord. Switch to HDMI via the monitor Input Source Select button. Does the PS3 appear?"

No Events found!