Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2012 00:00

Dell U2412M - Back-light bleeding Question (On second replacement from Dell)

I recently purchased a Dell U2412M from Dell New Zealand's site. When I received the monitor I noticed a bit of yellow tinting on both the right and left edge of the panel, coming in half a centimeter on each side. I also had an area of hard edged back-light bleeding on the bottom right edge. I ended up putting in a request for a replacement.

Long story short I'm on my second replacement and the issue is the back-light bleeding is terrible. I still have my original monitor, having sent the first replacement back as it was even worse than the original. I received my second replacement yesterday and it also has terrible back-light bleeding, even worse than the first replacement. I did notice that the two replacements where Rev01 where as my original model was Rev02.

I purchased this monitor to do photo and graphics work, so such faults are incredibly annoying. I can accept some small faults and a certain level of back-light bleeding but when it is distracting while looking at the screen that doesn't seem correct. So now I'm not sure if I should just stick with the current replacement for a while and see if the back-light bleeding gets better over time or if I should for for a third replacement. I do have a 3 year next day replacement on this so I can afford to go a few weeks with the monitor I have now.

Can backlight bleeding get better over time? And why is it so hard to get a decent panel. At this point I feel like I have to decide which fault is easier to live with, which doesn't seem right.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 27th, 2012 09:00

Post some pictures of the display so I can ascertain if it is within Dell manufacturer specifications.

January 27th, 2012 14:00

I've already sent the replacements back and informed the Dell rep I was dealing with that I would hold onto the original monitor I received for now and try getting a replacement in a few months. In any case, I would hope that the level of backlight bleeding I saw does not fall within acceptable limits - I found it unacceptable and interfered with my work. If that was the answer I was to receive then I would ask for my money back.

I do find it interesting that both replacements with issues were REV01 made in August 2011 while the original monitor I received and am holding onto for now is a REV02 made in September 2011. Maybe there's using a different panel in manufacturing. It makes me want to hold out for a REV02 model.

I am disappointed with this experience, in the product quality control that is. I feel that I've been forced to keep a monitor that has faults, but in comparison to what else I've had as options (in regards to the replacements) is the best of the worst. That being said the Dell rep I was dealing with was very helpful, and replacements were sent out quickly.

No Events found!