Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

February 1st, 2011 16:00

U3011, no wake after DP enters sleep mode

Hi, I'm a first time poster.  My Dell Latittude E6410 is in the docking station and connects to a Dell U3011.  The Dell 3011 does not wake up when the DisplayPort input goes into sleep mode (I have it set at 30 minutes).  I did not have this issue with my previous monitor, the Dell U2410, which was connected by DisplayPort. My workaround is to undock the laptop and the redock it each time I need to use my computer.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Is there a real solution? 

11 Posts

August 6th, 2011 09:00

Chris M, the liaison guy. Is there anyway to escalate this issue to Dell engineering? Dell should value all of its customers including we, the small but niche and probably highly profitable high-end UltraSharp purchasers. It seems pretty clear that there is an issue with the display port firmware on this series of monitors. They should test this not only for sleeping machines for a few moments, but overnight as well, so that they can replicate our problem. I really like this monitor and it is a shame that it has been sullied by such a small but significant issue.

11 Posts

August 6th, 2011 09:00

Oh and the snow from Apple's adapter is known on other monitors. I don't think that implicates another flaw with this monitor.

17 Posts

August 6th, 2011 10:00

Thats what I was afraid of on the CA cable.  Its pretty sad that alot of new devices are going to DisplayPort yet this monitor doesnt even properly support it.  Ive had this running on 3-4 machines on Dual link DVI and never had and issues.

Im hoping that the DisplayPort to dual link DVI active adapter dont give me any issues either.  Otherwise this monitor is killing me on normal use as 90% of my use is my T420 Lenovo laptop which dont support dual link DVI natively anymore, its either VGA, single link DVI, or DisplayPort only.

Dixit

August 7th, 2011 10:00

Update...the cable did nothing.  Same ishoo except I am out $20.  

17 Posts

August 7th, 2011 19:00

Man............ That sucks.  Guess me getting this CA cable is now pointless.  Guess I can only hope that the DiplayPort to DualLink DVI adapter that Im waiting on fixes my issue.

11 Posts

August 14th, 2011 20:00

Hey guys. I kind of posted a Mea Cupla a week ago or so. Well I know I have to take it back. After using Apple's mDP-->Dual-link DVI cable and having snow after wakeup, which was driving me crazy, I decided to review the research about this monitor and the cable one more time. I realized something. I think I forgot to turn off DDC/CI or something, because I realized I left it ON. I am now happy to report that in the last 3 days my U3011 has successfully woken up every single time with my MacBook. This is after 3 full nights of sleep (for bot me and the Mac/monitor), and morning-->evening sleep. I have full confidence now in this cable and now I don't feel bad getting everyone to buy this cable. It might not be the magic solution for all of you, but for me and my 2010 MacBook Pro 15" + U3011, I am now convinced it is.

11 Posts

August 14th, 2011 20:00

the cable I am referring to of course is the Circuit Assembly cable... mDP-->DP

August 15th, 2011 06:00

An earlier Circuit Assembly cable DID NOT WORK for me: http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-to-Displayport-Adapter-Cable.html. I verified that it did not connect pin 20. If any one else has any experiences, please report them here.

17 Posts

September 28th, 2011 14:00

I guess we're not going to get any help from Dell on this one.  My method of using the DisplayPort to DVI active adapter to drive this monitor has been a partial fix.  I dont have the sleep/wake problem anymore for sure, however now at random times the screen gets completely fuzzy and blurry, like the active adapter doesnt have enough juice to handle driving the 2560x1600 resolution.  Only fix there for me is to simply unplug the power on the active DVI adapter and plug it back in (which is basically a USB connection drawing the power).

Now that is getting old and want to go back to DisplayPort where there was no problem of that nature but then I will have the whole sleep/wake issue which is even worse.

This is fabulous that I spend over $1500 on a monitor and Dell Support (where we all have premium warranty on these monitors) when I call them are no help, they just keep giving us canned responses of "change your cable, its your adapter, its probably your video card".  We know its not ANY of those things, just look at this flipping thread.

Dixit

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 08:00

Same monitor, same problem, driven by the e-dock and M6600.

Posted by Veljko
replied on 12-02-2011 11:39 AM

Has anyone tried a Displayport to HDMI adapter cable to get around this power saver mode problem?

17 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 08:00

Is there anyone that knows how to get a hold of a real level2 or level3 tech person at Dell for them to truly analyze this problem?  Clearly this forum is useless for that since Im sure these support agents are not browsing all these threads.  Talking to their phone support is also pointless since all you get is canned responses from their Level1 about check you laptop, check your drivers, update them, format your computer, etc.

Dixit

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 09:00

Has anyone tried a Displayport to HDMI adapter cable to get around this power saver mode problem?

17 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 10:00

Wel HDMI for me is not possible cause HDMI cannot support the full native resolution of 2560x1600, HDMI can only handle 1920x1080.

December 9th, 2011 16:00

The miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter works fine with Macbook Pro to Dell U3011.  In fact the HDMI input is what i am forced to use currently because the high-res (2500x1600) DisplayPort input stopped working after 17 days.  And this is the 2nd replacement U3011, because my original monitor stopped working with DisplayPort or DVI-D after a 8 months, and the first replacement failed working with high-res after 4 hours.   I know it is not a problem with my Macbook or the cable because i have another U3011 in my office at work (had it for 6 months ) and it works fine with DisplayPort at high-res 2500 x 1600, with either mDP<->DP cable.   So now i am waiting for another replacement or something from Dell.   Has anyone else used the U3011 with Macbook-Pro and have the high-res function fail ?  

8 Posts

December 16th, 2011 17:00

I'm having the exact same problem running the u3011 directly from my Alienware M11x's DisplayPort.  I'm not sure the exact resolution spec for HDMI, but my system is able to run to 1920x1200.  

I was "hoping" that I could use HDMI... but since it doesn't support the max res of the monitor, I'm bummed.  I saw promise in the earlier posts untill I read that people spent their $20 to be disappointed. Ugh.

In my case, it doesn't happen all the time.  It usually wakes up.  But every once in a while it goes to sleep, and I'm stuck on my laptop display till I can save my work and reboot.  That's the only way to get mine back.  Ugh #2

What also sucks is that this thread was started in Feb 2011... and it's now December.  Has anyone contacted Dell Support?  I didn't see anyone talk about it in the thread.  My gut is that this is a design flaw and there is no fix... and warranty replacement won't help if that's the case.  I hope I'm wrong...

No Events found!