Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

February 1st, 2011 16:00

U3011, no wake after DP enters sleep mode

Hi, I'm a first time poster.  My Dell Latittude E6410 is in the docking station and connects to a Dell U3011.  The Dell 3011 does not wake up when the DisplayPort input goes into sleep mode (I have it set at 30 minutes).  I did not have this issue with my previous monitor, the Dell U2410, which was connected by DisplayPort. My workaround is to undock the laptop and the redock it each time I need to use my computer.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Is there a real solution? 

December 17th, 2011 11:00

Try this fix :^)

www.youtube.com/watch

17 Posts

December 17th, 2011 11:00

I have talked to Dell support and obviously that has got me no where.  I ask to talk to Level2 or Level3 and I get pushback.  Ive talked to 3 different techs and they all give the same canned response of must be your video drivers, or your laptop, or your cable.  Try it on another computer or laptop.  They dont listen when I tell them I have.

Ive used the DisplayPort to DVI dual link adapter (active) and its a workaround as it sometimes flakes out and gets fuzzy resolution wise and I need to unplug and replug the USB side of that adapter (where it gets the power from) to fix it.  

Im at the point where I really do want to just drop this flipping monitor and get the HP IPS panel.  Its pretty sad that I cant get this one small issue fixed which causes more pain then its worth.

Dixit

2 Posts

January 4th, 2012 11:00

I have a 17" Macbook pro plugged into a Dell U3011 monitor with a display port cable. I experience the same problem. After the laptop sleeps the screen no longer works and my laptop doesn't think it is there. My solution was to unplug the power from the monitor for a few minutes and then plug it back it in.  My full actual procedure was as follows:

• turn off DDC/CI
  • unplug power from monitor
  • wait a few minutes
  • unplug and replug displayport cable from laptop
  • wait a few minutes
  • plug in the power to the monitor
  • turn the monitor on

Whether or not all of the steps above are needed, this worked for me.  My read is that the monitor is confused and the pulling the power plug resets it. Note that using the on/off button does not work. A hard reset with power cycling was necessary. Hope this helps someone else. Love the wall of pixels tho.

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 11:00

Hey everyone, I found a fix for me. I made an account just to reply to this thread in the hopes that it helps at least one other person.

All I had to do was literally unplug the power cable from the monitor when it was on, and plug it back in. I tried changing DP cables, another computer, and disabling DDC/CI, etc. This monitor worked great for three months before today where it didn't want to wake up from sleep. I just wont use sleep anymore on my PC, and just shut it down in the future. I'm lucky that I had a spare DVI cable to troubleshoot this issue.

It looks like Strawbot had the right idea by pulling power from the monitor. I'm keeping a DVI cable plugged in just in case this happens again and I need my PC for work.

You guys have been a great help. Cheers

-Norb

17 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 14:00

Norb, is this a permanent fix though?

Ive been dealing with this from day one.  Having to keep unplugging my monitor every time i need the computer monitor to wake from sleep (cause my laptop told the monitor to shut off due to 10mins of inactivity, laptop still running) is not a fix.  That means everytime I walk away for more than 10mins, and come back if it doesnt way, I must unplug and replug?  Thats not a fix (nothing against you, more on Dell).

Clearly its a software/firmware issue since many other stated that undocking and redocking (including me) makes it work all the sudden where the monitor was never unplugged in that scenario.

Dixit

The monitor is powered off via power button or power cord, then turned on, the monitor will not establish a connection (no signal).  It is not until the laptop is undocked then redocked that the monitor regains a signal.  

This is with displayport, docking station, and Dell Latitude E6420.  

2 Posts

Instead of letting the condition happen and then having to fix it, I now prevent it from happening by turning off the monitor before I sleep my laptop. This way the monitor never sees the sleep from the laptop. So far no more lockups.

If the monitor is powered off via power button or power cord, then turned on, the monitor will not establish a connection (no signal).  It is not until the laptop is undocked then redocked that the monitor regains a signal.  

This is with displayport, docking station, and Dell Latitude E6420.  

2 Posts

Well, its obviously a problem with the monitor's firmware and its sleep settings. I recommend that you do not use sleep on your computers while using this display if you want to avoid this issue. I am just going to turn off my monitor/pc when I no longer intend on using it. I know that this is not the way it should be, but Dell will not repair the issue. I've called Dell myself and they did not transfer me to a higher level tech support agent. They seem to be with this issue. Its probably a known issue but they are unable or unwilling to fix it this time, so they will try to fix it for the U3011's replacement. My computer is a custom built desktop: i7 2600k, 8gb DDR3 1333, Asus 6870, OCZ Vertex 3, 120gb. I'm using the Dell U3011, with the DP cable that it came with, plugged directly into the 6870. It worked fine, including coming in and out of sleep for about three months, before not waking up this morning.

norb8, we are interested in your setup.  PC + monitor, laptop + docking station + monitor, let us know.  

Undocking and Redocking is the only work-a-around that works for me.  Still looking for a fix before this all becomes legacy hardware.  

6 Posts

January 24th, 2012 06:00

My workarounds are these since my IT policy at work forces monitor sleep after 10 min:

1. Turn off monitor when leaving my desk.
  2. If I forget to do it and monitor won't wake, unplug and plug DP cable on the docking station end. 
  3. If 2. does not work, unplug DP cable from docking station and plug into the 2nd one. 

That works about 99% of the time. Yes it stinks, but keeps me from going insane and having to undock or reboot.

14 Posts

January 30th, 2012 04:00

Mine will only come back after moving the mouse. Power button brings I back from sleep but I have to wiggle mouse after or else it just goes back to sleep.

E6410 with dock

January 30th, 2012 10:00

Yes i agree that it is a firmware problem with the U3011 causing it to stop working at highest-resolution,  and disconnecting the U3011 from all power for a long period is a solution to reset the firmware.  I have two U3011 monitors, one at home and one in my work office. Previous usage has been that i put the Macbook to sleep, turn off monitor, and go to work with Macbook and connect to U3011 in my office.  But when leaving office i turn off the power strip that feeds monitor after putting Macbook to sleep,  so that U3011 in office has NO power input all night.  The U3011 in office has never had any problems, whereas i am on my 3rd U3011 at home (two replacements).  First replacement got the same problem in one day, and 2nd replacement got problem in 2 weeks, and i could use them with HDMI input but not with DisplayPort or DVI-D.  Now i realize that the difference in usage has been that at home the U3011 always has power source whereas in my office the U3011 has no power all night.  When i sent my home U3011 to Dell , of course it works fine at Dell because during shipping it has no power applied (i saw the important post about power reset after shipping it), so i got it back,  and so now even at home i disconnect power after putting Macbook to sleep, and monitor continues to function when i reconnect Macbook ( 3 weeks so far).

14 Posts

January 30th, 2012 21:00

Mine seems to always wake up fine as long as I wake it up with the mouse. Waking it up with the keyboard or any power button it wakes the PC but the monitor goes back to sleep never coming out of a black screen.

Do you guys have the USB on the monitor plugged into your PC? Any differences when unplugged or plugged?

1 Message

February 24th, 2012 00:00

Hello All,

Thanks for the variety of suggestions here. I'll add my story to the pile, as this is without a doubt a monitor issue....

I use thinkpads, as you may have guessed :-). My config is as follows...

Thinkpad, W520, docked to a Lenovo Minidock, series 3. Using the DP.

Worked for a couple weeks, no problem... Swapping between T520 and W520 on the docking station.

Tonight, I settle in for some work, and can't get it to wake. neither the W520 or the T520 can detect the monitor (first clue). I connect the DP directly to the laptops, no dice. Use a new cable, no dice. Call Dell support, No dice (it's, of course my other HW...).

Connect a W500 to the monitor, I get the message indicating a link error. Back to T520 and W520, nope.

Connect using DVI from Dock, works fine.

Back to DP, no Dice, with any of them...

Power cycled the monitor MANY TIMES in there, always, no dice... same unable to detect.

PULLED THE POWER CORD... Waited, no more than 5-10 seconds, and plugged it back in.

WORKS!

(all of those other attempts had the monitor continuously plugged in, even though I did power cycle the monitor with the power switch).

So, as  cosmicsurfer noted above, the difference is interrupting power to the monitor itself. Not power cycling it with the power switch, but actually UNPLUGGING it.

It would be very educational to learn if others managed to have all else fail, and then unplug the monitor and have it start working again. If we can get a few more people to duplicate this behavior, we might be able to get Dell to reproduce it and provide a fix.

OTOH, they might already know, and not want to spend the $$ to fix/replace all of the potentially defective monitors out there. My monitor is BRAND NEW, and manufactured in Dec 2011, and is Rev A05.

No Events found!