Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2010 10:00

Dual monitor mode: can I extend main display right to left?

I have a dual monitor setup with

Main display with desktop: Dell S42092

Secondary display: Inspiron laptop.

Is there a way to extend from left to right?  I'd like to have my secondary display (the laptop) positioned on my left, and not on the right, which seems to be the only way the Screen Resolution setup allows you to do it.  I have is currently set up as

Display (2) Dell s24092

Multiple displays: Extend these displays (This allows me to drag from left to right, which is only intuitive if the laptop is on the right.

If I can't do it with this setup, would this work with another monitor type? 

24 Posts

February 19th, 2010 02:00

My OS is Windows 7, but I have been to the "Change the appearance of your displays" screen you describe. 

It identifies the laptop as Monitor 1 and the Dell S24092 as Monitor 2. It allows me to make either 1 or 2 my main display, but it does NOT allow me to switch the Identity of 1 and 2.   Therefore, no matter which display is my main display, the drag direction forces me to exit the right side of the main display (the big Dell) before entering the laptop display, which I have positioned to the left.  I am left handed, and I mouse with my left hand, and I would prefer having my secondary monitor on my left.  Is this making sense? 

The identity is to tell you visually which is which the number does not matter. The laptop display will always be 1 and the external will always be the secondary because you cannot disconnect it and because it will be the first one your computer find when booting up.

To put secondary (2) on the other side Press on the Picture of monitors, monitor 2 Drag it to the other side of #1 and press apply then displays/adjust will blink and if it is successful it will pop up a window with a 15 second countdown to reset the display if yes button is not pressed.

You basically want to match the picture with your setup.

I am left handed also but use the mouse with right hand. and I have a laptop with Vista and an external (primary) monitor to the left of laptop.

24 Posts

February 16th, 2010 00:00

Is there a way to extend from left to right?

Yes, asumming you are running windows XP / vista Follow theese instructions:

•  Vista;Go to start menu,Control Panel, Personalization,Display settings.
  •  XP:   Go to Start Menu, Control Panel, Display, Settings Tab.  

To display on both monitors Select which monitor you want to be the primary (task-bar and icons to be on) (Press identify to identify which is which) then check the check box  that says: "This is my main monitor"  then select the other monitor and check box that says: 'extend the desktop onto this monitor"   (xp may be a little different)

Then the rest is simple You can adjust the position of the monitors by simply dragging the picture of the monitors around where you need and then press apply if you are using Nvidia graphics card open Nvidia control panel in Control Panel but you can only put the side by side using Nvidia control panel, the windows settings will still let you adjust as mentioned above.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2010 08:00

My OS is Windows 7, but I have been to the "Change the appearance of your displays" screen you describe. 

It identifies the laptop as Monitor 1 and the Dell S24092 as Monitor 2. It allows me to make either 1 or 2 my main display, but it does NOT allow me to switch the Identity of 1 and 2.   Therefore, no matter which display is my main display, the drag direction forces me to exit the right side of the main display (the big Dell) before entering the laptop display, which I have positioned to the left.  I am left handed, and I mouse with my left hand, and I would prefer having my secondary monitor on my left.  Is this making sense?

3 Posts

March 15th, 2010 10:00

:emotion-1: Thank you JammTek thank you!   Today lazy me said, ok, let's find that email and give it a try.*   Your instructions are a masterful example of succinct, precise technical writing, and  and it worked!  Would the vendors of the software I use -- and also (Microsoft, since I actually looked for these instructions) -- be so talented and attentive to the importance of tech writing.   BTW, I can mouse either way, but for the past few years I've used a Kensington track ball. Very easy on the fingers and hand.

(*I'd rather suffer than endure the all too frequent experience of documentation-disappointment with docs that explain the obvious and ignore what the user is REALLY trying to figure out. Plus I'm lazy.) 

1 Message

February 14th, 2016 20:00

Thanks. This worked for me.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2021 02:00

Hi,

The solution is really simple. Right click on the home screen, click personalize, click display settings, on the left of that you will have something named "change display settings," click that, you will see two monitors numbered 1 and 2, number one monitor is your main pc monitor and the number 2 monitor is the extension monitor. Left click on the no 2 monitor on the image and hold the left button of the mouse, drag the monitor to the left of the number 1 monitor and release the left click of the mouse. It will shift the no 2 monitor from right to left. Finally click apply. This will now also change the direction of the drag and mouse. 

PS: You can drag the number 2 monitor to any four directions and this is also the drag direction of the mouse, viz top, bottom, right and left to the main monitor number 1.

I hope it works for you.

No Events found!