Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2009 12:00

E198WFP automatically enters "power save" mode

I've only been putting up with this for a day and a half but I can't find the solution on my own.  Hopefully someone else has an idea.

I've hooked up my monitor to a PC running Windows XP, SP3 and an NVIDIA 7600 series card.  I'm using the cable for digital signal.  I've also rechecked the integrity of the connections at the monitor, video card, and even the card's security in the motherboard.

For some reason, the monitor performs its self test just fine, but once I hook up the cables and power up the computer, the monitor instantly goes to "power save" and prompts me to turn on the computer, move the mouse, or press a key on the keyboard.  It doesn't respond to any of those conditions.  I can't even access the monitor's reset function or OSD.  I've also tried using it on the motherboard's analog display.  Nothing. 

Any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 27th, 2009 20:00

Test the PC and monitor using the VGA cable. Is there another PC to check the DVI on?

November 27th, 2009 22:00

I put the DVI cable on my other computer (it uses a Dell flat panel, too, but a different model) and the cable seems to function well enough.  The other monitor recognized the change from VGA to DVI and accepted it without a hitch.

When using the VGA cable on my affected monitor, I still got the same problem and could not get the monitor to come out of power save.  I hooked up my computer to the good monitor and switched it over to use the onboard VGA adapter.  On hooking it back up to the sick monitor, back to square one.

HOWEVER...during the course of my day today, someone suggested several things: using Control Panel to deactivate the monitor's power saving function, replacing the motherboard's battery (no idea why, but I did it), and reseating the video card.

The monitor came back to life after I replaced the battery and card, so while it was in the mood to work, I disabled the power-off feature in Control Panel and took the time to update the video drivers and the monitor's driver (using Dell's R151906.exe driver off their site.)  I also disabled the monitor's auto-detect feature and set it to digital only since I always use digital anyway, and I used the monitor's reset feature to reset everything else.

I know...doing so much makes it hard to diagnose the exact cause, but for now, the monitor's been behaving for about three hours and several shutdowns and power-ups.

We'll see if it continues to function, but for now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, and thanks for the suggestion.

November 28th, 2009 01:00

Never mind.  Just did it again and took four reboots before the monitor realized that there was, indeed, a signal from the computer.

Back to the drawing board.

December 7th, 2009 01:00

And now it won't recognize any signals at all, whether digital or analog or from the video card or motherboard on either of my PCs.

I have figured out how to solve this problem, although it will be expensive.

Buy HP next time.

Thanks for that one hint, even though it didn't help.  Next time I'll know what to buy and not to buy it--even if new--from a rent-to-own business. 

Dell

No Events found!