Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2020 10:00

E2216H, connect to my PC HDMI, #2

I have an Optiplex 3070 HDMI connected with a direct HDMI to DP cable to DP on monitor. This means that a direct cable does not work. Is there a way to use that same cable with an adapter? Or I have to buy a new cable?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 16th, 2020 10:00

@JCana  DisplayPort to HDMI cables can connect a DisplayPort source to an HDMI input.  They cannot connect an HDMI source to a DisplayPort input as you are apparently attempting to do.  The OptiPlex 3070 comes in three different designs -- Micro, Small Form Factor, and Tower -- all of which can have different display output connectors, especially because some of those can be ordered with different graphics cards that might offer different outputs.  You didn't specify what display you have, but if it's a Dell E2216H as discussed in this thread, then that display only has DisplayPort and VGA inputs.  If you don't have a DisplayPort output (or a USB-C output, which you won't on that system), then you would not be able to use the DisplayPort input, unless you were willing to buy a more expensive active signal converter adapter that is specifically designed to convert an HDMI source signal to DisplayPort, like this one.  That adapter is specifically designed to go in the opposite direction of "normal" DisplayPort to HDMI cables like you have, so it would likely work for your purposes.  The USB connector is to provide power to the adapter to run its internal converter electronics.  (And you'll also need a regular DisplayPort cable to connect the adapter to the display.)

Other than that, your only option would be to use the display's VGA input.  Depending on the outputs available on your system, there might be multiple ways to feed that VGA input.  Or you could buy a display that has an HDMI input.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 19th, 2020 09:00

@JCana  There are HDMI to VGA cables and adapters that have the necessary converter chips built into them.  However, they are directional, meaning that there are some adapters/cables meant to connect an HDMI source to a VGA input on a display, which is what you'd need, and other adapters meant to connect a VGA source to an HDMI input on a display, which is NOT what you want.  So if you go this route, make sure you get a product designed to run in the direction that you need.  This is an example of what you'd want, and the product vendor Cable Matters has a solid reputation for quality products.  Then you'd just need a regular VGA cable to connect the adapter to the display.  If you don't already have one of those, they're cheap and easy to find.

2 Posts

September 19th, 2020 09:00

Thank you for the answer.
My monitor has a vga output, a vga cable would work from the monitor to the hdmi port of the pc or it would be the same previous case and I would need a converter.

No Events found!