Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2009 16:00

Has Dell Discontinued The 2209WA?

I just called Dell and asked about this particular monitor since I haven't seen it on their web site for the past 2 weeks.  The rep said it's been discontinued.  It's only about 7 months old, why would they discontinue it considering it's a great monitor and a lot of photo people want to buy it?  Can anyone from Dell verify if this is true?  Thanks...

5 Posts

July 13th, 2009 12:00

I have only had this monitor a few months and it's great for photography work.  However, it is starting to crash.  It suddenly goes out, flashing on and off, showing auto detect.  I discovered that if I unplug the up stream USB cable it corrects itself, but goes back to the factory presets.  Plug the USB back in it crashes again.

On paper the warranty looks great, but trying to contact someone for a monitor problem when you did not buy a system has been next to impossible so far.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 14th, 2009 06:00

Weaster101,

I discovered that if I unplug the up stream USB cable it corrects itself, but goes back to the factory presets.
* Unplugged from the monitor end or the PC end?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 14th, 2009 08:00

Did you try all of the PC rear USB ports?

5 Posts

July 14th, 2009 08:00

I've tested it both ways, and it doesn't make any difference.  If I unplug it from the monitor or from the computer it corrects itself when crashing.

5 Posts

July 14th, 2009 12:00

Chris,

I tried most of the rear ports and all the front ones, same story.  After things have been shut down for a while (sometimes I disconnect the power cord), I can usually restart the computer and everything seems normal.  However, in about an hour or so (used to be days) it crashes again.  The symptom makes me think an electrical component or circuit in the monitor is failing when it warms up.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 14th, 2009 13:00

* Contact Dell Technical Support and get it replaced. Provide to them the following information -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason: List specific failure

7 Posts

July 15th, 2009 14:00

That's a shame if Dell has discontinued the 2209WA.  It's the only 22" Dell monitor to make any of the recommended lists on Anand Tech's LCD thread, and is very well thought of in various monitor forums around the web.  (Does Dell marketing ever consider these things when making decisions?)  We have several of these monitors at work and haven't had any problems with them.  I wish the stand went a little higher, but other than that it's a great monitor.  If there's an LCD panel supply problem, I should think that Dell is big enough to pressure the supplier into ramping up production.  What happened to the law of supply and demand?

5 Posts

July 15th, 2009 19:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help.  But something is very strange.  The system will not take my order number, but it took my Dell Purchase ID, sort of.  The information that popped up said I was talking about a Dell computer purchased in 2000, not my monitor purchased a coupld of months ago.  Also, there is no tag on the back of the monitor, however there is what looks like a serial number with bar code on the stand, but its longer then 20 digits.

I did explain all these inconsistencies along with the problem I am experiencing with my monitor to the tech support as you suggested.

Thanks

4 Posts

July 17th, 2009 07:00

I have two of these coming to be in the next few days. They popped up on eBay and snagged two of the 10 that the seller had available. Just from pictures on the web, they appear to be the best 22" available and the cost is just great, too bad I didn't pick up more when they were onsale. Anyways, hope you get your monitor issues worked out.

5 Posts

July 17th, 2009 09:00

I don't know whether it's been discontinued, but the 2209WA that I ordered in late June arrived yesterday - a month earlier than it was expected.

July 17th, 2009 13:00

I have just rcd the 2209WA that I ordered from Dell earlier this month. I thought that I would never see it but Dell proved me wrong. This is fortunate as I have always shopped Dell and will now continue to do so. I am glad that I did not take the advice of the first customer rep I spoke to who advised me to cancel the order as this unit, according to him, was 'end of life'.

180 Posts

July 26th, 2009 18:00

The panel manufacturer cannot keep up with our demand for the entry IPS panel. We cannot sell what they cannot give us.

That's bad news. I suppose part of the problem is related to the unique characteristics of the E-IPS, meaning that on a panel shortage Dell is not capable to replace this panel using other manufacturer or technology, because they are all expensive :(

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 09:00

Hi there,

today I got the replacement for my broken 2209WA. Directly after connecting it to my laptop I calibrated it with basicColor calibration software. At the end of the calibration, the software is automatically proposing a name under which the display profile should be stored. With my first 2209 it was Dell2209.icm. Now with this new unit it is LCD2009_UXi. Google -> LCD2009_UXi: There is a NEC display with exactly this name: NEC Multisync 2009UXi.

Now this is a 20" display and not 22" but it seems that the Dell2209WA is giving this name to the PC/Laptop. I do not have any other explanation why basicColor is proposing this name. I did not find any 22" e-IPS or S-IPS panel from NEC. There is onyl one S-PVA.

Now I really would like to know which panel they took for my 2209WA and if the specifications are at least the same as DELL declares officially for the 2209WA. Till now I, and many others, were asuming that it is a LG panel. It's a bit dissatisfying when you don't know what you get.

Regards

1 Message

August 3rd, 2009 11:00

I ordered two back in June with an August delivery date. Last night the bank showed the transaction had gone through, but this morning when I checked the status, the delivery date had been revised  to OCTOBER...4 months for two monitors, are you kidding me? To make matters worse, no one has contacted me about the delay at any time in this whole ordeal, I've just been left wondering if they are going to be indefinately pushed back.

I could die right now, my old monitor is on the fritz and I've been holding out waiting for these. If I known "3-5 weeks" actually meant "12-16 weeks" I would not have ordered them.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 12:00

Send me your monitor order number in a private message so I can investigate this.

No Events found!