Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 3rd, 2008 20:00

LCD stuck in power saving mode

I have a new optiplex 755 with a 2407wfp-hc monitor just a couple of weeks old. video card is ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro with 8.383.1.1110 driver dated 7/17/07. Single LCD using DVI connection (#1). A couple of times now I've had the LCD go into power saving mode as I was actively working on it. I have my power settings to Never. When this happened, I was able to use Remote Desktop to get to my pc and work so the pc itself worked fine - the LCD wasn't getting a signal. Any ideas why this is happening? Should I look to the video graphics card or the monitor? Thanks for any help.

1.7K Posts

January 4th, 2008 11:00

I'd try using a different monitor to see if it's the computer or the screen. Since it is new, it is under warrenty. I'd call the support people and they should be able to send you the correct part

1 Message

January 7th, 2008 16:00

Quite a while ago, I had the same problem.  Try using the analog cable instead of the dvi cable. 

14 Posts

January 8th, 2008 04:00

I have the same issue AND the same graphics card. I think it's the graphics card. The solution to move to analog cable does work, but hey what's the point of having a sexy new monitor with digital input if you can't use it?

Please reply here if you find a solution. I already tried later drivers to no avail.

Message Edited by simmondsi on 01-08-2008 12:44 AM

2 Posts

January 28th, 2008 09:00

HI ,

I have the same problem, my Dimension 4700 is 3 years old and this is the first time it happened
hope someone comes up with a solution...

14 Posts

January 28th, 2008 11:00

I did find a solution:

This was one of a couple of problems I was having (the other - the webcam drivers would not run correctly).

The mistake I made was installing a new graphics card at the same time as connecting the new monitor. Made me realize that I had two possible issues. I uninstalled the card software/drivers, also physically uninstalled the card, then I used WinXP System Restore to rollback in time to just before installing the card + monitor to be on the safe side. By switching back to on-board graphics plus analog cable, all is now working fine.

So, I proved it was either graphics card related or related to the type of cable connection used.

I intend to carefully install the graphics card again at some point to see if the issue recurs so I can pinpoint what causes it.

Cheers,

Ian

January 29th, 2008 04:00

My pc is still under warranty so Dell sent me a new graphics card which I replaced but in a few days it happened again - kicked into power save mode as I was actively working on it. I decided to see if I could narrow it down by isolating the monitor or the pc by running them on separate devices. I have been running the monitor on another pc and the pc on a smaller monitor for over a week and nothing has happened so far (generally I see it happening within a week's time). !!!!?!!??!!?!??! I called Dell tech support and they decided to send me a new lcd and a motherboard - I think I'll replace the LCD first since it's the easiest. I agree about having to not using VGA cables when I have digital output!

2 Posts

January 29th, 2008 06:00

Hmmm...could it be that when you use monitor USBs to say charge an IPOD it drains the power?
Don't know much about this stuff...but  just bought an Ipod and used monitor USB to charge it and  that's when it started happening
it seems ok now, had it on for 24 hrs and it was fine
hope it's that
No Events found!