Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2020 01:00

P2720DC, U2412M, Latitude 7480, connection, 3 displays

Newbie question!

I have a Latitude 7489 (Win 10) issued by my employer. I have my own, personal Dell U2412M monitor. I have just purchased a new Dell P2720DC monitor. I want to connect the two monitors so as to run a 3-screen setup, using also the laptop display.

What are the best, simplest options for the connection? I would like to have the fewest no. of cables, etc.

Do I need to also purchase a USB-C port hub adaptor?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 11th, 2020 09:00

@erz_danno  Follow-up to my reply above: If you were planning to use a regular USB-C connection between the system and the P2720DC in order to get video, USB data, and power all over a single cable, then unfortunately you won't be able to set up a daisy chain like I described above, at least not in a way that will allow you to run both displays at maximum functionality.  The P2720DC will set up the USB-C link to carry both video and USB 3.x data.  Carrying USB 3.x data cuts available video bandwidth in half.  With a Latitude 7480, that's still enough to run the P2720DC (which is why the display sets up the link that way), but it's not enough to run that QHD display plus an additional FHD display.  Dell's higher-end U Series displays, including the U2719DC that would be the nearest equivalent to your P2720DC, have a "USB-C Prioritization" option that allows you to choose whether the display should set up the USB-C link to carry USB 3.x data and half video bandwidth, or only USB 2.0 data and maximum video bandwidth.  If you had that option and were ok with only having USB 2.0 data speeds available for whatever you were plugging into your display's USB ports -- which might be fine depending on what you'd plug in -- then you COULD set up a QHD+FHD daisy chain even while using native USB-C to the first display.  But the P2720DC doesn't offer that.

So unless returning the P2720DC and getting a U2719DC instead would be an option, if you want to use the P2720DC via native USB-C to carry power, USB data, and video simultaneously, then you'll need to connect the U2412M via the system's built-in HDMI output instead, using an HDMI to DVI adapter/cable (not HDMI to DisplayPort, which won't work in this setup).  Or if your Latitude 7480 has Thunderbolt 3, which is optional on that model, you could get a Thunderbolt dock like the WD19TB and carry power, USB 3.x data, and enough bandwidth to drive both displays all over a single cable -- but that's obviously a more expensive solution, even assuming your laptop has TB3.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 11th, 2020 08:00

@erz_danno  I'm going to assume you have a Latitude 7480 since there's no such thing as a Latitude 7489.  If that's correct, then the least expensive and simplest cabling solution would be to get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to connect your laptop to the P2720DC, then use a regular DisplayPort cable to connect the DisplayPort output on the P2720DC to the DisplayPort input on the U2412M.  This will set up a DisplayPort daisy chain, which will allow the system will see both displays individually and allow you to treat them independently.

4 Posts

July 11th, 2020 10:00

Thank you @jphughan - This is detailed and very helpful!

Sinec I want to keep this monitor and do not have TB, I will go with: "if you want to use the P2720DC via native USB-C to carry power, USB data, and video simultaneously, then you'll need to connect the U2412M via the system's built-in HDMI output instead, using an HDMI to DVI adapter/cable (not HDMI to DisplayPort, which won't work in this setup)."

Will post when I get it set up and working!

4 Posts

July 11th, 2020 10:00

Thank you! Yes - you are correct - it's a Latitude 7480 - my typo. Sorry..!

4 Posts

July 24th, 2020 02:00

Complete success!

Just as suggested, the P2720DC is connected via USB-C, also providing power to the 7480 laptop; the U2412M is connected via HDMI, and the laptop display is, of course, on as well. I now have a perfectly functioning 3-display set up and the recommened resolutions for each are fine.

Thank you @jphughan for all the kind and expert assistance! 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 24th, 2020 09:00

@erz_danno  Excellent!  Glad to hear it's all good, and thanks for reporting back.

No Events found!