Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 09:00

New G2410 Won't Power On After Being Powered Off for Some Time

I have a brand new G2410 running off of a GeForce 7200 GS chipset via DVI (as well as two Viewsonic VP930b's on the same machine - one on the 7200 GS (via VGA) and one via a GeForce 4 MX 440 (via VGA)).  There is nothing plugged into the VGA port of the G2410.  I'm running the latest drivers for both video cards.  This machine is running XP SP3.  My monitor's s/n is CN-0U334K-74445-95G-AF5U Rev A01.

Usually at night I will power off the monitors manually via their buttons.  1 out of 3 times or so when I come in in the morning, I cannot power on the G2410.  No buttons on the display are responsive, nothing is illuminated. 

• Unplugging and reconnecting the power does not allow you to power up the monitor.
  • Unplugging and reconnecting the DVI does not allow you to power up the monitor.
  • Only unplugging the DVI and power cables so they are both disconnected at the same time, then plugging them back in, allows you to power up the monitor.

This entire setup worked fine previously with a Samsung 24" monitor for 1 yr + until a row of pixels gave up the ghost, hence the G2410 replacement.  I currently have a refurb replacement from Dell that exhibits the same problem.

I was unable to find the G2410 drivers, so the above was with the MS Plug and Play driver.  I found the drivers via one of Chris M's posts, and have installed them (FWIW, the Dell link is broken - it downloads the DellDriverDownloadManager.app only - so I had to go find it by name on the FTP server) - so perhaps that will remedy the problem.

Any ideas?  Please advise.  I will report back if the drivers look like they have solved the problem (may take days to reproduce).

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 1st, 2010 08:00

SheilaWarburton,

Please test the following -
(1) Rather than letting the PC go into standby/hibernate mode, if you do a normal Restart or Shutdown while the windows desktop is still up and running, does the monitor always work after the bootup is finished?
(2) When connected to VGA only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work?
(3) When connected to DVI only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, press the monitor power button off, then on. Then move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work? (Seems to fail for all, just making sure)

January 1st, 2010 15:00

The computer is permanently busy performing video encoding - it's never in standby or hibernate mode. Hibernate is disabled.

Some of the HD encodes take 4 or 5 hours or more so the monitor is off for most of the time.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 13:00

To me this is clearly an issue with the monitor itself.  Here are some data points from my system

1) NVidia 275 (new version)

2) Dell 420 that I've upgraded with the video card.  This issue happened before and after the card was upgrade from the original 8800GT.

3) I had this issue with my prior install of Windows Vista (all latest revs) and have it with my new Win 7 installation on all latest revs

4) I am running in DVI mode and VGA is not an option due to image quality.

5) The screen never turns back on no matter what keys or mouse combo I try and requires a 30-60 second unplug before I can replug to turn it on. 

6)  This problem never occurs from a hard restart on the computer.  It only happens when I walk away with the screens off and they turn off.  I do not use any hibernating or sleep functions in the OS.

7) I ran dual screens with a Dell 1907FPt (I replaced it since the power button stopped working and had to plug/unplug it to turn on/off - quality trend??) and never had an issue.  I've run dual screens for the last 8 years on various systems and have never seen this type of issue either.

This seems like an easy problem to replicate.  Why not you ask for purchase information to trace lots and figure out if it is a quality defect or a product defect?  From the number of posters this isn't an isolated incident and there are probably many people who haven't yet found the forum to post.  I'm hoping the service / support on this issue picks up pace.  This is incentivizing me to buy only from stores where I can walk defective product back to the return desk.  Understand that half the time I use my computer I now get a poor customer experience waiting to get one of my Dell FP screens reset.  That is a rapidly building negative company image and likely many other people are similar.  Thankfully it isn't my primary and my Samsung has no issues.

1 Message

January 6th, 2010 11:00

This happened to me half an hour ago. I had the monitor for a few weeks and this is the first time when this happens. I unplugged the power cable and the DVI cable and it came back to life. There is clearly an issue going on here. This is the second I time I buyed a Dell monitor but I think it the last time also for me unless they will replace my monitor.

January 11th, 2010 06:00

I purchased a Dell desktop PC with a G2410 monitor for a friend and an extra G2410 monitor for myself at the same time. My friend reports that the same thing has happened to his G2410 (not powering back up after being switched off for a while). He's using the VGA connection not the DVI so the problem isn't specific to DVI use. He cured the problem by powering everything off and then on again.

1 Message

March 30th, 2010 13:00

Any update / solution from DELL for this issue?

I have a brand new G2410 that has exactly the same behaviour (not powering back up after being switched off for a while).

It is attached through its DVI port to Dell XPS 610i with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with Vista Ultimo, latest Windows updates, latest video driver and latest G2410 driver. But, judging from other postings, none of that seems to be very relevant for this particular issue.

The only way to resolve the problem when it occurs seems to be 1) disconnecting and reconnecting DVI cable, 2) sometimes also disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable, and 3) shutting down and restarting the PC.

1 Message

June 14th, 2010 00:00

Not much to add, except to say that I got a G2410 a few months ago, and it suffers from the same issue.

Any ETA on a fix ?

This issue is very irritating...

Thanks

Blaise

June 14th, 2010 03:00

This might sound crazy but my solution was to use the Wizmo utility at www[dot]grc[dot]com and place a link on the desktop. When I want to switch the screen off I just double click the Wizmo link. When you want the screen back on just waggle the mouse. I don't touch the monitors power button. The only other solution other than switching everything off and back on again is to unplug both power and video (DVI or VGA) to the monitor and then re-plug them in without switching the PC off. Obviously this could be dangerous.

1 Message

August 31st, 2010 11:00

Same problem, not work repeating same symptoms, just adding by bump to the post.

August 31st, 2010 14:00

On the UK Dell site in "Monitors & Monitor Accessories" the G2410 has mysteriously disappeared.

The ST2410 & U2410 monitors are still available.

59 Posts

October 6th, 2010 14:00

Looks like this fizzled out with no resolution. I should have got back with my machine details (at the time Windows 7 x64 & ATi 4870 I think, and connected via a Aten 1782 KVM switch) but I purchased a new PC and found that I didn't have this problem with the new one. Maybe the fact it only affected some video cards is why more people didn't report this issue?

I'd still like to know if there was ever a fix or official solution though? I'm now in the process of selling my G2410 and have detailed the problem on my auction page (I don't want to misinform buyers), so it looks like this problem could end up with me forfeiting a bit of money. And if there is a fix (or explanation) I'd like to pass it on the next user of my G2410 in case they have this problem.

No Events found!