Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2010 02:00

New XPS 16 and Dell 1080p monitor - Everything is slightly smaller and Explorer is at 125% ? why

I have been using the old XPS M1330 and a New Dell 1080p monitor - fantastic machines... i just purchased a Dell XPS Studio 16, and plugged it into the New Dell HD monitor...

The problem i know have is that everything is sharp but small, i.e when browsing the internet the browser is at 125% auto.. and if i go to 100% everything is to small... Same if i use some software that i use for drawing, the menu icons are very small....

I just want everything to be normal, the XPS M1330 was perfect and an excellent machine, what can i do to remedy this.. is there a solution, i am worried there isnt..

I want everything to be at 100% and for the sizing to be correct, when everything is slightly enlarged, this leads to problems i have just mentioned... i would have thought that paying all this money to dell should mean i am improving my experience as opposed to reducing.. i appreicate any response and thank you for taking time out of your day to read this...

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 6th, 2010 21:00

What specific Dell monitor? What port on the XPS 16 is the monitor connected? What port on the monitor?

3 Posts

November 7th, 2010 01:00

Hi,

Its a Dell ST2410

It connected through the old style monitor conections... not the hdmi connection,

Thanks for looking into this...

3 Posts

November 7th, 2010 02:00

Further to my last comment, i just tired a HDMI cable, the same happens, i.e everything seems really small, especially some of my programs icons, and the IE browser is at 125% still.... and another strange thing with the HDMI cable is that a black border of about 5 cms appears on the monitor to make the screen fit? i have the monitor on auto settings, and i tried fill mode etc?

After having about 2 deels, and 3 acers, this is the first time i have experienced problems with the resolution and size? I would have thought having 2 dell HD products that this all should be standard stuff?

Thanks for reading...

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 7th, 2010 11:00

The default resolution for the ST2410 is 1920x1080 60Hz. What resolution is the laptop?

ATI
The Ati Catalyst scaling default is set to around 7.5 under scan which causes wide screen displays to show thick black borders around all 4 sides of the display.
* Right click on the Desktop
* Open Catalyst Control Center
* Switch to Advanced mode
* Click the Dropdown Menu Graphics in the top Right
* Select Desktops and Displays
* Right click on Currently Active Display. This part is very crucial. There is a little picture of a tiny Monitor and tiny Arrow at the far bottom left of the CCC menu. It is this tiny Arrow that you left click on by the button that says Basic and the button that says OK. When you click on the little black arrow (not the Big Black Arrow in the middle of the CCC window, you will get the option to click Configure. Then the following 6 buttons will be available to you:
Attributes
Avivo Color
Scaling Options
HDTV Support
LCD Overdrive
Pixel Format
* Under Attributes, check the Enable GPU scaling box and the Scale image to full panel size
* Click Apply
* Select Configure
* Click on the Scaling Options tab
* Move the scale to the right until you get a full screen image 0%
* Click OK

NVIDIA
* Right click the desktop
* Click NVIDIA Control Panel
* Click Custom View- Define Custom View
* Put checks on all and choose Advanced Settings
* Click OK. It will refresh
* Under Display, click Adjust desktop size and position
* Choose Use my display's built-in scaling
* Click Apply and or OK

Use NVIDIA scaling - stretches to fully fit screen
Use NVIDIA Scaling with fixed-aspect ratio - fills screen without distorting proportions (i.e. you'll see black bars at top/bottom or sides)
Use my display's built-in scaling - relies on your monitor, which probably stretches to full screen
Do not scale - no scaling, so images smaller than 1920x1080 will be centered on the screen, with a black border around it

No Events found!