Highlighted
Jeff.Dominiack
1 Nickel

RE: P2815Q, U2412M, Surface Pro 3 + Dock. Flickering U2412M

Jump to solution

I have three Surface Pro 3 Docks that were having this issue. After replacing the display-port cables that were supplied with the Dell monitors with some Star Tech cables the issue disappeared.

www.startech.com/.../6-ft-Mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable-Male-to-Male~MDP2DPMM6

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Jeff,

Thanks. Does the startech cable seat further into the SP3 dock port and the monitor port? I wonder if all of the Dell mDP to DP cables are suspect now. What specific Dell monitors are you using? I want to look up the Dell mDP to DP cable part number.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
Loki7302
6 Indium

Jump to solution

If have a U3014 panel and experience sort of the same issues, except that it happens to me also when the machine is alive and I am basically just working on it.

It starts flickering for a few seconds (sometimes a minute) and then everything settles down.

I read somwhere that the Surface dock does not properly work with mDP2DP cables, so I replaced it with a mDP-only cable, and to my surprise everything worked just fine.... Until I pulled out the SP3 from the dock. At that point the monitor appears dead (buttons not working, indicators dead) and does not recover until I pull the mDP cable from the dock itself. Then (and only then) the monitor comes back to life.

So there is definately something dodgy going on. If I connect the mDP2DP cable directly to my SP3 (not using the DP-out from the dock, that is) I have not yet encountered any issues.

Also, I have had a Surface Pro 2 (and 1) with the "old" dock, and I never had any problems using the same monitor.

0 Kudos
Loki7302
6 Indium

Jump to solution

With the Dell supplied mDP-2-DP cable I was unable to retain a picture for more than an hour, and then it would start flickering for about a minute or so.

With the Dell supplied mDP-2-mDP cable I had no flickering issues but as soon as I removed the Surface from the dock the monitor would get "stuck". Unable to recover unless unpluging the mDP cable from the dock.

In a final attempt to get this problem fixed on my Surface Pro 3 I ordered a different mDP-2-DP cable (1 metre) and a mDP-2-mDP cable (also 1 metre). The first resulted in flickering only. There was never a stable image, so WORSE.

The mDP-2-mDP cable however worked flawlessly and so fat the monitor hasn't got stuck. So the brand of cable might in fact be solution to the problem. The cable I am now using is a Delock cable that will set you back around (9 euros).

It looks like my problems are finally solved.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the exact same set up as the OP, JohnMc10 except I've got Surface Pro 3 i5 and I'm having the exact same issue.

I shouldn't have to spend $50 on new cables to get my $550 monitor to work as designed 😞

0 Kudos