Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2018 06:00

P4317Q, How OS agnostic is it?

Currently I have a dual-monitor set-up on a Ubuntu Linux PC and next to it, another dual-monitor set-up on a FreeBSD PC - that's four 20" monitors in a row and I use a Lindy KM switch to switch my keyboard & mouse between the two PCs. It works OK but these are 1600x1200 screens and I would like to get more onto them (I'm a sys admin with lots of xterms, etc open on all screens) so I was looking at the P4317Q as a possible solution instead of buying four 24" or 27" screens.

Most of the time I would be using the 4 PBP mode so is this likely to run into O/S support issues?

Secondly it might be an advantage if I could resize the individual pictures or move them around; I realise DDM isn't available for Linux (never mind FreeBSD) but can I do all these things on the command line via the RS232 serial interface?

Andy

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 25th, 2018 08:00

Many Dell unknowns here...
* Dell does not test our monitors using KVM's
* Dell does not support Linux, Ubuntu, etc. on the P4317Q. Not only will DDM not work, we do not have a monitor driver for those OS
* The P4317Q RS232 Protocol Document PDF is here
* The P4317Q RS232 Protocol Examples PDF example PDF is here

38 Posts

September 25th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for your quick reply. I get the feeling it *might* work if each of the four PBPs are effectively treated as independent monitors with completely separate inputs but as you say, it's not officially supported and I would have no other use for this screen if it doesn't work (other than try and persuade a Window-using colleague.to buy it off me!). I think I'll look at Dell's 24 or 27" ranges and get one of those 4-monitor desk brackets.

Incidentally, the KM switch I use switches keyboard & mouse only, it doesn't switch screens. So I can work on two PCs, look at 4 screens but use just one keyboard & mouse. 

Andy

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 25th, 2018 11:00

Before you buy another monitor...
* Once you identify the model
* Go here
* Click the specific model
* Click Drivers & downloads
* Click the drop down arrow under "Operating system:" to see if Linux is listed

Here is the link to our Linux General Forum board. You might ask them what monitor models they are using, etc.

38 Posts

October 1st, 2018 04:00

I'm using Dell U2412m monitors at home with many different computer operating systems with no problems at all, so I think I will go for four of these instead. Admittedly, an advantage these have over the P4317Q is that with the right monitor arms, they have more adjustments for height, angling/tilting of the screens, etc so will probably work better for the way I want to use them anyway.

Thanks for your help,

Andy

No Events found!