Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 2nd, 2001 19:00

Power Save Mode

Throughout the last six months I've come across computers at my work with monitors that just wont display at all. Instead I get the message, "Monitor is in power save mode, activate using PC." Now this is happening when the PC is booted and running. Beyond turning on the PC's power, how can you activate the monitor? Is this message an indication of some other problem?

30 Posts

November 24th, 2012 15:00

Thanks firstdown, I'll give that suggestion a try.  BTW, I tried finding the manual, what a frustrating experience!  It asks for a Service Tag, you won't find it.  Then after searching around, you find out that monitors don't have Service Tags.  Then you choose your monitor (in my case, a 2209wa), it then tells you there are no downloads or manuals for your monitor.  I've been buying nothing but Dell monitors for over ten years now, this might be the last.

30 Posts

November 24th, 2012 15:00

I'll report back in a few days.  And thanks for the link to the manual!  

30 Posts

November 27th, 2012 04:00

Unfortunately, didn't work.  Will be putting in a "new" video card soon, hope that will do it, if not, will consider sending the monitor in for replacement.

29 Posts

November 27th, 2012 09:00

Just one other question: Is your CPU hooked up to your  monitor via a Digital(DVI) Input cable or Anaolog(VGA) input, because that will also make a difference on what type of source selection is made on the monitor. Personally I would select each one of the selections on the monitor and see if any of them work without putting your monitor into sleep mode. Please reply back.

30 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 06:00

I replaced the video card five days ago and haven't had a problem since.  Was always using it with a DVI cable.

30 Posts

December 10th, 2012 11:00

Still working with the replaced video card.

29 Posts

December 10th, 2012 12:00

@Hagbard72...just curious...did you just replace the graphic card or did you also have a disk and load the driver for it. Because if that was the case maybe all you had to do was reload the graphics driver for the old card. Thanks for you updates.

30 Posts

December 10th, 2012 13:00

Yes, but I'd done that many times before with the other card, didn't make a difference.

29 Posts

@Hagbard72...Further did you ever try removing the old graphics card, cleaning the contacts, replacing it and seeing if that worked?

3 Posts

Is it a sign the monitor is about dead?  I have tried an older LCD Dell screen and on 2 different PC's and it flashes on for a couple of seconds (like it's fine) then goes blank.

29 Posts

@mikesc1...have you tried reloading the driver for the monitor with the disk that came with the monitor"?

No Events found!