Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 13th, 2018 13:00

S2716DG, G-SYNC 144Hz, flickering, pulsing

Hi all,

I'm on my second S2716DG, the first one had many dead pixels, but also had this flickering/Pulsing issue.  It happens on the desktop and in games.  Turning gsync off seems to rectify it, but that's not really the point of having a gsync monitor.  I have tested it at all different refresh rates and it is still present.  I'm not sure what to try, this is the second S2716DG I've had that does this.  It's like looking at a florescent light when you can just see the flicker.  I have it attached to a geforce 1070 using the included display port cable.  I do not get this flickering on my other 2 60hz 1080p screens.   I also use my computer for work, so the flickering when typing in Word or using remote apps drives me insane.  I have 2 weeks left to return it, so any advice would be welcome. 

Rob

8 Posts

May 13th, 2018 14:00

Here is an example from someone else with this monitor. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 14th, 2018 06:00

Based on the thread you linked to, the fault is with the Nvidia driver, not the S2716DG.

"I dropped down my Nvidia driver from 388.00 to Version 382.53! I'm happy it is now fixed but I'm not getting the optimization updates from the newer drivers! can we get Nvidia support on this please!"

"I also went back to that older driver yesterday to fix gears and G-SYNC in general and yes it does function better than the latest drivers."

G-SYNC should only be enabled when playing games written specifically for G-SYNC 144Hz. It should not be enabled for general operating system and work applications. Those were written for 60Hz, not 144Hz.

For my notes, send me via Private Message the S2716DG service tag number.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2018 08:00

Hi, Thanks for your reply. If you read further down that post, the op also stated that drivers made no difference after a restart. But it does indicate an issue with gsync. I get flickering in games and on the desktop. So not really appropriate is it to turn off gsync on a gsync monitor and pay a premium for it. That's the point of having it for gaming. I will most likely return this as it is not fit for purpose.

1 Message

May 19th, 2019 13:00

This makes no sense. If this does not get fixed I'm returning the monitor and I'll buy a Freesync instead

6 Posts

June 21st, 2019 10:00

So I have had this flicker issue for several months now. I finally got to the bottom of it! I own two Dell S2716DG monitors. They are 144Hz 1ms TN displays. Great monitors, especially for the price point. Anyway, the flickering has been really bad. I have pretty much resolved all in game flickering to practically zero. I would say flicker free 95 percent in game now. I was experiencing it every two seconds before.

1. Download and install DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). (Cleans your display drivers.) Make sure after you install, you boot into safe mode and do the clean and reboot option in DDU
2. Install the latest GeForce Experience and Drivers
[b] The following may be specific to my monitor: But worth a try either way if you are experiencing annoying flickering[/b]
* Reduced my refresh rate from 144Hz to 120Hz
3. In Nvidia Control Panel: Power Settings = Prefer Max Performance
4. In Nvidia Control Panel: Set up G-Sync = Enabled for Windowed or Full Screen Mode
5. Enabled V-Sync in game (left default in Nvidia Control Panel). Just enable V-Sync in game

No Events found!