Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

4 Posts

January 7th, 2020 07:00

S3220DGF, psychedelic colors?

Hey all, I just picked up a S3220DGF monitor, and have an issue with it.  After about 10 minutes of it being on, I lose all color control in the screen. Everything turns colors they couldn't be and looks like an acid trip. If I leave the monitor going like that, it will eventually "snow out" in a multi colored blur. I'll give system build info first, then my diagnostics.

Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 7 1800x
MSI x370 gaming carbon
Dual MSI Armor 1080's SLI, Nvidia driver 441.87 (released yesterday)
Gskill trident 3200 16GB ram
M.2 hard drive
Thermaltake 1250w 80plus Titanium
Dell S3220DGF 2K 164Hz via DP 1.4
Samsung UN55MU8000 4K 60Hz via HDMI 2.0
Custom Dual loop water cooling system

Temps during gaming (42°C processor 41°C graphics processor) and idle (27°C processor, 29°C graphics processors)

Here is what I've tried =
- Three different DP cables
- All six DP connections available between both cards
- Five different HDMI cables and both HDMI ports
- Auto diagnostics and built-in diagnostics

Problem still persists.  All diagnostics for monitor comes back good. When the screen is doing its freaking out, the on screen menu still works flawlessly with no issues. If I turn off the monitor and turn it back on, it resets and looks great for about 10 minutes, then goes back to unusable. I have played with refresh settings and sync settings, none make a difference. I'm starting to think the processor on the monitor is going out. Any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 7th, 2020 08:00

The fact that the S3220DGF AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 monitor passes its stand alone Built-in diagnostics (page 50), points to the non-tested, non-validated Nvidia card or its driver as the culprit.

Do you have a PC there with an AMD Radeon video card to test on this AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 monitor? Dell did not test/validate this S3220DGF with Nvidia. Dell tested on Alienware desktops AMD FreeSync 2 compatible video cards =
AMD Radeon RX 560X/570X/580X
AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

* Go into the S3220DGF Menu- Others and Factory Reset it
* Then turn Game- Freesync On
* Set Game- Response Time to Fast (not Super Fast or Extreme) and retest

4 Posts

January 7th, 2020 10:00

The only Radeon card I have here is an old Radeon HD7970 and Radeon HD7950.  Bit in an older rig under crossfire.  I will try to test on that

• 

16.7K Posts

January 7th, 2020 10:00

Leveecius,

Great! Be sure to check to see if there is a newer driver than the one installed. Then post the results for all.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2020 09:00

After much time banging my head against a wall, I've only accomplished a knot on my head.  After getting the old rig updated and testing with my AMD cards, still having the same issue.  I have completely removed all drivers and started fresh, same issue, on BOTH rigs.  I'm really thinking it's the monitor.  But I can still see the OSD when the colors are shot.  I have pics of what I'm talking about.  Even does it @60hz and no sync on.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2020 14:00

Ok, well Id like to hear supports answer to this.  I was told it was my unsupported driver/card causing my issues.  I tested on an AMD card, same results, only crickets from them.  Screen kept going out and having issues as stated.  Well, today the screen turned off and stayed off.  Even OSD doesn't work for menu..  What say you now?  Who can I talk to about the warranty on this?  Quite disappointed, I've only had it 9 days.

Update January 28 = All seems to be well. I have done some rigorous testing on the computer to push the replacement monitor pretty hard to see if I could recreate any of the issues I had prior. As of this message, there have been zero issues with the replacement monitor. I'm very happy now! This case can be closed for sure, and the defective screen will be going out today to be returned. Thank you for your time and support!

No Events found!