Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2017 21:00

SE2717H, HP laptop, Windows 10, Flashes to black

I connected my new SE2717H to my HP Pavilion laptop PC on Windows 10. Every few minutes the new monitor goes black for a couple of seconds and the comes back on. Very irritating when doing work or watching streamed programming. I've tested with both the laptop screen along with the monitor and the PC screen stays on while the monitor goes black periodically. I've tried variations of screen options as well as resetting to factory default and changing the HDMI cord 3 times. Nothing is helping. Is it possible that my HP laptop isn't capable of sustaining the resolution demands of the new SE2717H? Any suggestions on resolution would be greatly appreciated. I've seen this 'blacking out' issue mentioned a few times on this forum and even tried some of the suggestions on those posts but nothing fixes this problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 11th, 2017 07:00

* What specific HP Pavilion laptop?
* What video out ports are on this HP laptop?
* Have you replicated the black out issue when testing the SE2717H on a different computer?

3 Posts

October 11th, 2017 10:00

Hi Chris,

* Edition: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703 - Windows 10 - OS Build 15063-674 - Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz - Installed RAM: 8.00 GB - System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

* HDMI only

* No 2nd computer to test on but I linked my PC to my smart TV via HDMI and no black out occurred on the TV.

BTW, I've worked with a tech support from DEL who, after running through some basic test, told me to go to HP to confirm that my optic (& otherwise) drivers were up to date.  I did that via HP Smart Friend program that I pay for & all drivers are up to date & the HP tech ran through some other tests related to the viewing options - PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, Second screen only. He then suggested getting a new monitor which I did and now the new one has the same issue which to me indicates an inability of my HP laptop to operate the monitor glitch-free.  

Thanks for your quick response.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 11th, 2017 13:00

Two monitors with the same issue points to the system. But why, no idea. Do you have a neighbor or friend that can bring in another laptop with HDMI out to test the SE2717H?

3 Posts

October 11th, 2017 14:00

Yes, I have a friend who has a Dell laptop but that would not be a true test in that it would have to be the same model laptop (HP Pavilion) to prove compatibility.  I'm going return the Dell monitor and order an HP monitor and pray that it works. Thanks for your help Chris.

1 Message

March 26th, 2018 19:00

I have the same issue.  Have connected the SE2717H to an HP Spectre using the HP USB C- HDMI adaptor.  SE2717H keeps going black and showing "searching for signal" message then SE2717H reawakens again.  Am using it in second screen only mode.  Timing of blackout appears random, buts gets more frequent as the day goes on.  Never happened when monitor was first purchased but is now quite frequent.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 27th, 2018 06:00

Is there a computer there with HDMI out port to test on the SE2717H HDMI in port? If yes and the flashing issue does not appear, then we know that the SE2717H HDMI in port and HDMI to HDMI cable are working.

You mentioned, "HP USB C-HDMI adapter", so is this the setup?
HP Spectre USB Type-C TB3 out port --> USB Type-C TB3 to HDMI adapter --> SE2717H HDMI to HDMI cable --> SE2717H HDMI in port

If yes, you should test a straight USB Type-C TB3 to HDMI cable =
HP Spectre USB Type-C TB3 out port --> USB Type-C TB3 to HDMI cable --> SE2717H HDMI in port

No Events found!