Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2012 19:00

U2312HM monitor and PowerNap

I just installed a new U2312HM monitor, and I want to install the PowerNap software (which supposedly "allows the user to select "Screen dim" or " Sleep" when the PC goes to the screensaver mode"). I've tried installing it from the CD that came with the monitor, and from files copied from the CD to my computer. The install starts, but I always get the error message "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddiskl\DRl". Obviously, there is no such drive. There are no USB drives attached to the computer, and I also tried turning off my antivirus program, but I still got the same error.

This rinky-dink bit of software is probably not worth the time and trouble I'm taking, but can anyone suggest a way to make the apparently badly designed installer work?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 10th, 2012 06:00

Dave-in-Decatur,

I would not install it. I have found that the monitor powernap software conflicts with the Windows 7 power management options. If you insist on trying it, you must turn OFF all Windows 7 power management settings and only use the monitor powernap software. Go here to get the powernap software. http://dell.to/QV3vGd

August 10th, 2012 07:00

Thanks, Chris. Sounds like one of those sledgehammer-to-swat-a-fly approaches to programming. ;-)

This being the case, I'd like to suggest that the documentation on the CD be updated to indicate that PowerNap is not compatible with Windows 7 power management.

In general, FWIW, I found this monitor to be an absolute breeze to set up physically (though the USB output ports are a little hard to access). I love the easy adjustments to height, tilt, swivel, and rotation. The documentation was a bit lean at points, though. Some more information on advanced color and brightness/contrast settings, for instance, would be helpful (though it might also encourage unwise experimentation by the uninitiated, such as me!). And the thing is just beautiful to look at!

No Events found!