Re: U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Is it possible to get the contact informaton of whoever is in charge of the Dell monitors products line?
* No.

There must be a Product Manager we can complain to?
* Your complaints are being fed to the manufacturer and the Dell team who dictate to us what the policy will be.

Just tell me whether DELL thinks it acceptable or not.
* Based on the current specifications, Yes.

What is their standard? How do they tell if the monitors are qualified? By naked eye or any kind of instrument.
* Less than 30 on color gradation. These are at 6. They use Minolta CS-2000, CS-1000, CS-210, CS-200.

Please fix the green/pink problem or ask them to offer concrete definition.
* Definition? Not sure what you mean. According to the specification, there is not a problem to fix.

* How and why would you compare the $529 U2410 with the $2239 EIZO ColorEdge CG243W? For $2239, I would hope they do 25 points.

Switching to sRGB MODE alleviates NOTHING. To even suggest this is outright misinformation, there is NO other word for it.
* That is not true. I saw it make a difference (not eliminate) the Green/Pink tint on 5 caputres side by side.

sRGB mode doesnt solve the problem!!
* I didn't say solve, I said alleviate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vaarium
1 Copper

Well, this is disappointing. I guess I was too naive to think that Dell would step up and fix this issue. At any rate, I was going to recommend a couple of friends with this panel (still a good panel if yours don't have that dreaded Green/Pink Tint), I guess NEC will get their businesses now.

0 Kudos
P.A.K
2 Iron

Is it possible to get the contact informaton of whoever is in charge of the Dell monitors products line?
* No.

Some of their names are publicly available if anyone really wants to search them out.. Not that contacting them will likely make a difference..

Please fix the green/pink problem or ask them to offer concrete definition.
* Definition? Not sure what you mean. According to the specification, there is not a problem to fix.
Your customers are telling Dell there's a problem here. Perhaps it's time Dell listened to its customers needs and changed its "specifications"? (which are apparently shockingly bad given the level of tint some screens have)

* How and why would you compare the $529 U2410 with the $2239 EIZO ColorEdge CG243W? For $2239, I would hope they do 25 points.

At the current exchange rate (Today at xe.com) Dell UK charge $952.05 for the U2410. The world is not America.

Also, the NEC WUXI series uses "Colorcomp" which, AFAIK, uses at least 15 independently factory adjusted screen zones. I'll leave it for you to check Google and see how much these go for.. Suffice to say the 24" NEC can be had for less in the USA than the UK price of the U2410..

Switching to sRGB MODE alleviates NOTHING. To even suggest this is outright misinformation, there is NO other word for it.
* That is not true. I saw it make a difference (not eliminate) the Green/Pink tint on 5 caputres side by side.
If that's your "fix" you'd be better off telling people to turn down the green and red GAIN values in Custom Mode. Honestly, I'm very disappointed by Dell if this is their attitude..

0 Kudos

Summary:

1. Dell acknolwdges there is a red/pink tinting problem, observable by naked eye.

2. Dell do not think this is a problem, even for their premimum monitors.

3. Dell won't fix it.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello M,

" That is not true. I saw it make a difference (not eliminate) the Green/Pink tint on 5 caputres side by side."  So, that  sRGB MODE can  alleviate Green/Pink Tint Issues. What does it mean?This means that there was some possibility to fix this by a new firmware .

"How and why would you compare the $529 U2410 with the $2239 EIZO ColorEdge CG243W? For $2239, I would hope they do 25 points." OK,U2410's Price
 is 25% of CG243,so,we want DELL to do 25% work.how about 5 poings?

And We are still awaiting the firmware fix for the Graininess in sRGB and Adobe Modes too.and Why the user cannot install the firmware by himself? I 'm not in US, and I don't think that DELL China will do this job.

0 Kudos

So, that sRGB MODE can alleviate Green/Pink Tint Issues. What does it mean?
* We are not sure. We just submitted our findings to them last night but brought up that very point.

This means that there was some possibility to fix this by a new firmware.
* I cannot speak to that conjecture.

OK,U2410's Price is 25% of CG243, so, we want DELL to do 25% work. How about 5 poings?
* To date, our manufacturers only test the center. To have them do more would raise the price of the monitors but we did bring this point to them.

And We are still awaiting the firmware fix for the Graininess in sRGB and Adobe Modes too.
* As are we.

and Why the user cannot install the firmware by himself? I'm not in US, and I don't think that DELL China will do this job.
* Dell has never allowed at home flashing of monitor firmware. I do not think this policy will change but we have brought it up in discussion.

0 Kudos
DrOnio
1 Copper

and Why the user cannot install the firmware by himself? I'm not in US, and I don't think that DELL China will do this job.

* Dell has never allowed at home flashing of monitor firmware. I do not think this policy will change but we have brought it up in discussion.

Curious policy, maybe someone on Dell finances area should suggest the possibility to save thousands of dollars for the company in monitor transportation, just allowing firmware upgrade by the user.

...anyway, will the update available for those customers outside the U.S.?

0 Kudos

The graininess update wil roll out to all hubs worldwide. Once they flash them, they will notify us. We would then give the go ahead for exchanges to begin. I have yet to receive word that the flash is ready.

0 Kudos
vgosselin
2 Bronze

Thanks for the update Chris. I sure can understand the difficulties of having to deal between the hierarchy and the customers. Hope you can also understand us for being frustrated by the whole thing.

On a side note, quick question about the exchange process... if I try to get my monitor replaced by a newer version after the 30 days from purchase, will it be possible? My situation is as follow : I'll be out of the country (Canada) starting next week, for a few months, and will most likely only be able to exchange the monitor in March 2010. Do you expect any problems from Dell Canada with this? Thanks

0 Kudos
darkbringer
1 Copper

DELL-Chris M

Would it be possible to distinguish between units with new and old firmware without actually testing for graininess? Maybe by some kind of sticker on the box?

Asking because in Russia it is impossible to order from Dell directly, so we are stuck with a bunch of resellers and units which may lie in the storehouse or at customs for weeks or months.

Also, kind of off-topic here, but it would be nice to know when, if at all, it will be possible to buy U2410 in Russia with premium panel warranty and advanced exchange. Does not really matter if it is from retailers or from Dell directly.

0 Kudos