Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Problem: Complaints of Pink or Green Tint on U2410 display

Note: All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation. Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint.

Description: The various preset modes set at the factory and available on the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu are meant to cater to a wide variety of display scenarios. Certain color gains are enhanced in specific preset modes to deliver a richer display eg for movie, gaming etc. However, it may still not be ideal under certain viewing conditions due to individual environments and preferences even though such color presets are aligned and 100% factory checked to be within specifications.

Solution:
* Press the monitor Menu button to launch the OSD Menu and display the Main Menu
* Down arrow to Color Settings
* Change from Standard to Custom Color
* In Custom Color, you have the ability to adjust the color representation of the individual level of Red, Green, and Blue. The gain setting will enable the individual intensity of Red, Green and Blue primary colors to be optimized for best viewing experience and could lessen the Green/Pink Color Gradation. The default setting for customer colors are preset at 100,100,100 which represents a neutral setting
* In cases where there is a need undo any color setting changes, you may select Menu- Color Settings- Reset Color Settings to revert the color preset selection back to factory defaults

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

3 Posts

November 15th, 2009 19:00

I'm posting this separately from my last post in case Dell has a rule against mentioning new-product rumors.

Has anyone else considered waiting until the u2711 comes out, and just bypassing the u2410 panel issues? These two pages suggest it might be on the way:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news.htm
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1320136.html

Does anybody know if Dell is using a higher-grade panel for the u2711 than it did for the u2410? Is there any way to tell?

144 Posts

November 16th, 2009 01:00

Hi all,

Just my 2 cents:

I already posted about my U2410 having a slight green-to-red tint that I was able to make disappear by using the "Cool" color mode.

This week-end I took the time to adjust it (by naked eye) by using the Custom color mode and played with the various (and numerous) settings you can find there.

By cutting down red and green gain, I nearly corrected the tint without having a "bluish" screen. This also reduces the issues linked to wide-gammut (fluo-reds, red/green halos around the fonts, etc.). And colors look good. This was something I was used to do for the 2408 as this one is also a WG and looked often reddish.

My RGB gain settings are: 90/91/100.

By looking carefully in low light conditions, some zones on the right side still appears a little redish compared to zones on the left, but this remains acceptable and I notice it mainly because I know there was a problem. Btw no lcd screen of this size is perfectly homegenous.

However, I received another 2410, and on this one the tint was more severe. I was not able to correct it. I must admit I didn't play to much with it. I'll send it back to Dell.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2009 02:00

For the guy in Leeds who needed a urgent fix!

Take it to the guys at www.laptoprepairleeds.co.uk

I think he used to be a Dell engineer or something.........

Good luck.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2009 19:00

Looks like I'm waiting for the 2011 model. What a joke.

5 Posts

November 18th, 2009 03:00

Hello,  currently i'm using a cheap tn panel (17" with 6 years), i have an offer of a reseller where i live for a U2410 (new) with a 35% discount of official price, is a nice offer, but... having in mind that now i'm using a bad tn panel, and the U2410 is overall good, do you think i'll notice the slight tint problems? (is worth to buy for me? i'm not a pro in image but want a monitor with nice image quality) Thanks.

November 18th, 2009 06:00

Well, what is their return policy and is the monitor covered by Dell or is it some sort of gray market offer? It's a beautiful monitor as long as it works correctly.

144 Posts

If you read the thread, you'll understand that the intensity of the tint is totally random from one 2410 to another.

As the sensitivity of every user is also variable and depends upon the usage and lighting conditions, you'll underestand that it's very dfficult to have a clear answer to your question.

62 Posts

in my case it was fine with the MAC desktop but as soon as you start to use the browser and get to a white page (99% of the web) you will notice how the left "white" side looked darker than the right "white" side. It got on my nerves. Mainly because the unit is sold at over £500 in the UK, which is the equivalent of $850, for that price a want a monitor that is next to perfect, if price had been as in the US I would have lived with it.

5 Posts

Is covered by dell premium guarantee, same as bought from the official shop.

Are the tint problems really too noticeable? A friend of mine has one and has not any tint problem up to my knowledge :/

43 Posts

November 18th, 2009 07:00

@zedax

If you are planning to do gaming with it using an external source (PS3, XBOX) via HDMI, check this discussion :
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302511.aspx

It is my personal experience with the monitor and I couldn't find a solution yet. Basically, playing games or blu-ray movies via my PS3 is horrible. I'm experiencing the grain/dither issue in all modes via my HDMI source (and not just the sRGB/Adobe modes).

This is my second U2410 monitor (got an exchange) and both are the same.

62 Posts

I didn't had that problem on my XBOX connected via VGA or HDMI, in both cases I used the ful rgb setting on the console. Game mode looked the best for me.

5 Posts

So is more a matter of quality/price than a real annoying problem, no? Ty

62 Posts

Exactly! at this price point, I repeat in the UK the equivalent of 850 dollars, I would expect a much higher QC than other countries where the unit is sold for much lower price.

14 Posts

dithering problem will only be fixed by firmware update. Its useless to warranty at the moment as all unit is still with the old firmware. You can wait till the new firmware available for public just get an exchange or call for technical support.

43 Posts

November 18th, 2009 08:00

Maybe there's no such problem when gaming via your computer (DVI source) using the standard mode.

Panzaman doesn't seem to experience this on his XBOX. I tried every possible settings (both on the monitor and PS3) and couldn't find a solution on my end. It also doesn't seem to be related to in-game upscaling (720p to 1080p) as I can clearly see the issue when sitting in the PS3 dashboard (in 1080p).

I was able to reproduce the problem with another PS3 on the U2410. I doubt the problem is with the PS3 since everything was sharp and clean on my previous LG W2453V (TN panel). I'll see if I can get my hands on a friend's XBOX to confirm this.

No Events found!