Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2009 13:00

U2410 Quesion

Hi Chris,

I have two quick questions.

I just received my U2410 monitor today and I've been experimenting with it a bit (using the HDMI connection using NVidia 9500GT on Windows 7 x64, at 1900x1200 at 59Hz - don't ask me why Windows insists on 59Hz) and I have to admit that despite the factory calibrated modes, even the sRGB mode colors look very bad.

The gradations are off into completely different colors, for examples, the left/right margins of this community web site, despite being perfect grays, turn into pink & yellow at various gray levels (I can take a picture of my monitor if that would help to explain the problem). Is that to say that the factory calibration of R=G=B=190 is pink? I would expect the gray scale to remain intact, for example. Am I in need of purchasing new calibration equipment to solve that? (my old spyder2 apparently doesn't cut it anymore) Do you believe it would solve the problem I'm seeing? And if not, what are my options?

My second question is about the "vertical alignment" I'm seeing - I sit about 2 feet from the monitor and certain colors and shades exhibit obvious vertical patterns (is that the result of the dithering? Because I was under the impression that the dithering causes brightness fluctuations at certain shades) but I'm seeing a constant pattern of vertical lines, the sort you'd sometimes see on low-res monitors. This is apparent in all the modes I tried (also tried DVI/HDMI).

I find this very disturbing visually (especially for such a high grade monitor), it's as though there's some very large and obvious "gap" between the color triplets. Is that normal? Because all past monitors I've used before (up to 20" wide) have never exhibited that. Those vertical patterns were the first thing that pops to one's eye and it's very distracting.

Your reply is much appreciated and anticipated.

Thanks,

-TR

8 Posts

December 14th, 2009 20:00

Hi Chris,

Two notes.

First, the new monitor (still at 59Hz) works just fine.

The second is, no matter how many times I set it to 60Hz, it *returns* to 59Hz. I cannot control it apparently no matter what I try (yes, I tried the standard Windows video drivers, then updated to NVidia's latest drivers - the issue persists). I am not the only one experiencing that apparently:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034712195&postcount=803

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=175217 (I'm going to try some of the work-arounds there).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140082

and more... (seems to be some Windows 7 issue)

-- TR

5 Posts

December 30th, 2009 23:00

Chris.. the 59 Hz problem happens on ALL monitors that I've used with Windows 7 and Nvidia. I'm not sure if this happens on a AMD/ATI card, but Nvidia's drivers are weird. Not sure why, it's been a while and you'd think theres a fix by now, but there isn't. so we'll see what Nvidia does in that case.

I'm using my Dell U2410, along with a T240 and they both say 59 Hz

1 Message

January 9th, 2010 15:00

Chris, 
  I'm having the same issue in Moscow.  I bought this monitor, Czech built in Oct, Rev A00 obviously, and while I have minor dithering in all modes, what I really seem to be experiencing is massive "posterization" in many applications.  I've currently got a Dell E6400 laptop running to the U2410 via Displayport (Issues remain but are less blatant using my only other option-VGA), and the problems start right on the Windows 7 splash screen where all the blue color changes built into the background have halos around them creating this odd and very noticeable wave or halo effect across the screen.  The other primary place I see this is in photo editing in Photoshop and other programs in various skies for example where gradient changes show up with sharp edges and this creates various halos around clouds or across gradual color changes.  Oddly, this doesn't seem to show up in desktop backgrounds though, no matter what picture I happen to be using as a wallpaper. 

The other major issue, that I assume is related, is that all gradients such as the ones on the edges of this webpage show up as a series of color blocks rather than the smooth transition from white to dark grey that I expect.  When I drag the browser over to the laptop screen itself the image reverts back to a smooth gradient.  

Currently I'm using SRGB mode (However posterization is the same in all modes), as I didn't like the over-saturated desktop in Standard mode, and I've color calibrated with a Sypder 3, which has improved the colors, although I'm not able to get a particularly good black point out of any calibrations settings. For example on the oft used Lagom LCD test I can only see the squares up to about #9, whereas the laptop display allows met to clearly see all the dark squares up to #1, and there is clearly not dithering on the laptop LCD,all the squares look distinct and sharp, while the U2410 has dithering evident on the last few you can make out, but I don't think to the same extent that others are complaining about.

In any case, my laptop is also saying 59 hertz (oddly even while the U2410 said 60Hz under Display Info), so I did a custom profile and forced it to 59.9 Hertz, which is what happened when I put 60 in manually into my Nvida card panel, and the problem remains.  If I could fix the halo issue and the gradient banding I'd probably be content, I don't think my version has the dithering issues to the same extent that others complain of, but with an internal LUT and the various high end touches included in this hardware, obviously I'm saddened to see my onboard Dell laptop LCD basically outperform the U2410 in many areas. So, I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions on what to do to fix these issues.  With Dell having a limited presence in Russia, I'm forced to deal with third party repair shops, and if I need to wait for the A01 Rev, then I'm not even going to take it in until I know it's been released, and can perhaps direct these third parties to the right solution.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Regards,

Scott 

20 Posts

January 10th, 2010 01:00

Here is a Microsoft KBA which explains the 59 Hz issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2006076

No Events found!