Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2009 17:00

U2410 Rev A01 eta?

Does anyone from dell have an ETA for the Ultrasharp U2410 rev a01?

It seems it would be wise to wait for the new rev. But i'm really interested in this screen :emotion-2:

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 15th, 2010 06:00

Energie9, wanamees, All,

Exchanges will not be offered for this Tint complaint since a dispatch of another display will not solve the issue as this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure.

41 Posts

Another user commented that it's hard to capture the pink tint issue on camera. He needed to boost the saturation value of the photo to make it more visible. You might have more luck taking the picture in a complete dark room. On your photos I see a window on the left and that could influence the photo. You might have more luck taking a photo of this forum maximized with the grey bars on the side. Other than that it seems you don't have the pink tint issue.

Another issue i'm having is the IPS glow or LCD glow. When sitting in a dark room watching a movie the glow is clearly visible. A black background looks more like light grey/greyish/blueish and when viewing the monitor from an angle it gets worse. My old TN monitor didn't had this problem. It's like an 100% uniform backlight bleed. I think all U2410 monitors suffer from this problem, but I don't understand why reviews didn't mention this. They surely must have tested this monitor in a dark room.This monitor is a 1 out of 5 for watching movies.

Guys - the IPS glow is a characteristic of ALL IPS panels.  It is normal.  In order to reduce and/or eliminate it a very few select high-end manufacturers have added a polarizing filter to the screen.  One such a monitor is the NEC 2490WUXi, which is no longer made and retails for over $1000.  The newer version of this monitor does not feature a polarizer.  So...long story short, it's not a problem. 

@ wanamees and co - As to going to extremes to look for other defects, I'm going to quote myself from another forum as I can't be bothered to re-type it...

These forums are the very definition of a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can get good advice about potential REAL problems with monitors such as the dithering in the U2410, which has thankfully been fixed.

On the other hand, these forums can turn even a mild-mannered, relaxed individual into an obsessive-compulsive, anxiety-ridden, self-trained monitor fault finding technician - who spends hours peering into the screen at bizarre angles while hanging upside-down from the ceiling, shining UV beams into refractory lenses at the anti-glare coating. Hunting for dead pixels with your eye an inch from the screen, adding 'Lagom' to your Favorites bar replacing 'High Def Babes', and calculating input lag with a degree of accuracy that would make Patek Philippe proud

So...in short, if you don't see any tinting, stop looking for it.  Any large LCD screen will have some screen uniformity issues, simple as that.  If you can't see it normally, relax and enjoy! :emotion-1:

7 Posts

Well this doesn't look so good anymore :S

http://www.privaatdisain.ee/_dell/colors/white_sat.jpg

Its not dark yet, but I removed the winwow factor.

Very clearly visible if Brightness/Contrast also boosted to 100.

Photo

http://www.privaatdisain.ee/_dell/colors/pink/w_R100_B_C_100_3.JPG

with HUE boost

http://www.privaatdisain.ee/_dell/colors/pink/w_R100_B_C_100.JPG

Photo with 50/50 B/C & R90

http://www.privaatdisain.ee/_dell/colors/pink/white_custom_R90.JPG

Other pics.

http://www.privaatdisain.ee/_dell/colors/pink/dell_forum_adobeRGB_HUE.JPG

http://www.privaatdisain.ee/_dell/colors/pink/white_custom_R90_2.JPG

So I guess warrantl case?

7 Posts

February 15th, 2010 07:00

True, but it's likely a cost-saving measure by Dell.  You can get a monitor calibrated at several points, but it will cost more.  Since the U2410 is almost always on sale, or available for less than its listed retail, you can almost get three of them for one NEC 2490WUXi for example...so perspective is needed.

If I had a monitor with visible tint, that would be one thing.  A monitor with some slight screen uniformity?  Acceptable IMO, for a sub-$500 IPS panel.

No, I don't work for Dell.  :emotion-5:

As you can see from the u2410 series, it was clearly a wrong place to cut costs.

Prices in Europe > Estonia are different from prices in the US - unfortunately.

1USD =  11,5EEK

This Dell monitor cost me 8500EEK = 739USD

This NEC is in storage and rated 11900EEK = 1034USD

( http://www.ox.ee/est/product/176343 )

Difference in price is 295USD (not three times)

So maybe I made little bit wrong choice - as I wouldn't bothered paying some extra bucks.

Only problem I see atm is that the NEC doesn't seem to have HDMI (as i'm using laptopt and it doesn't have DVI) 

41 Posts

February 15th, 2010 07:00

Difference in price is 295USD (not three times)

So maybe I made little bit wrong choice - as I wouldn't bothered paying some extra bucks.

Only problem I see atm is that the NEC doesn't seem to have HDMI (as i'm using laptopt and it doesn't have DVI)  

We seem to be spoiled then.  However, world markets aren't that simple.  In Canada we frequently pay far more for similar items in the US.  There are many reasons for this.  Market protection, tariffs, trade agreements, dealer networks and support, transportation costs, legal complications, etc.

I'm not sure if you made a *mistake*, depends what you need.  If you have no clearly visible tint, just enjoy it.  The NEC does have less connection options (no HDMI or Display Port) and its general input lag is slightly higher (if you are a gamer).  Dell addressed this directly with the Gamer mode.   NEC is also standard gamut.  If you do advanced photo editing/print work you may like the wide gamut.  As more software/OS becomes color managed, a wide gamut monitor will be future-proof.  DP comes into play here.

So it really depends on your needs.

19 Posts

February 15th, 2010 08:00

[quote user="Gecks"]
wanamees - you could likely be obsessing at this point.  Post a pic of the monitor at default values (brightness, contrast at 50) and at sRGB.  White screen.

You probably are right  :emotion-2: (I also read your previous post)
As I didn't saw any faults when I used it for the first days.
As I also poster picture with 50/50 Brightness/contrast and R @90 in custom mode.
Maybe this is in normal limits.
http://www.privaatdisain.ee/_dell/colors/pink/white_custom_R90.JPG
As I need to calibrate the monitor anyway, I will sure measure color values in every corner of the monitor - as Dell should have had done in the factory, to provide significantly better product!
[/quote]

So you don't see it under normal usage (will browsing this forum with a maximized window for example)? That's great. Calibrating won't solve the tint issue problem.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2010 14:00

Hi all,

My u2410 came in about a month ago and its A-OK with rev01 

I have a slightly different problem.

after restarting the computer the sound which goes through the DP will not play and the memory card is not recognized.

If i turn the monitor off and back on again they both work when the monitor comes back and shows picture.

My question is whether this is a fault and how and if it can be fixed? (seems to me it can be done via software update ;) anyone said rev02?)

Thanks ,

Uri

62 Posts

February 18th, 2010 07:00

Hi Suprfun, if you can go for the NEC. You are almost guaranteed to receive a revision A01 of the U2410, so it won't have the dithering but the Green-to-pink issue will definitely be there to some degree to the other. As I said many times on this forum I have personally gone through 4 brand new from DELL U2410 an 1 refurbished U2410 and none of them, I repeat, none of them, was tint free, they were also from all different manufacturing dates, the latest I tried was January 2010. The tint on these units seems to be the norm, not the exception.

4 Posts

February 18th, 2010 07:00

Hi Everyone,

New member, first post! :emotion-1:

I'm interested in purchasing the U2410 but am leary of the issues this monitor seems to be having. Does Dell have any information on when buying a "new" U2410 you could be sure you would get a Rev A01? I've been reading this thread for a while now and have been putting off my purchase waiting to see how this all washes out but I'm almost at the point where I need to pull the trigger on either this monitor or a NEC. Also does anyone know when Dell will release a newer model of the U2410? I'd like to buy a U2410 but pink screens would be a definate issue for me and I would not consider it normal. Any info would be appreciated!

20 Posts

February 18th, 2010 09:00

Hi, I have a question. I'm still hoping that Dell will give us an officiall firmware-update some day, so I haven't used the one that took it's way into the net recently. However, now I have read in a german forum that the real Rev.01 models actually have recieved changes to the hardware as well, taking something called FRC from the scaller into the panel, while the firmware resolves the ditheting issue simply by disabling the FRC in RGB-modes.

Is that true? If it is I might consider an exchange again.

18 Posts

Is that true? If it is I might consider an exchange again.

I don't think you're going to get a new A01 on an exchange.  You're going to get an A00 flashed with new firmware unless maybe you're still within your return window.

ChrisM, can you confirm / deny?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

I don't think you're going to get a new A01 on an exchange.  You're going to get an A00 flashed with new firmware unless maybe you're still within your return window.

* That is correct.

20 Posts

February 18th, 2010 11:00

Well, first product I ever bought from dell and it will be the last one at the same time.

I consider Dell's error fixing an exchanging policy dreadful and not in the leat bit customer friendly. If they are just going to give me an updated monitor they could as well let me flash the update by myself.

I could wait an hope they run out of refurbished Rev.A00, though. Although that might take some time. I take that I can initiate an exchange because of the dithering issue as long as I am in my warranty?

And, Chris-M, can you confirm that the real Rev.A01 got changes to the hardware?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 18th, 2010 12:00

I consider Dell's error fixing an exchanging policy dreadful and not in the leat bit customer friendly.
* The policy on New or Refurbished has been around since the CRT days. Nothing new there.

If they are just going to give me an updated monitor they could as well let me flash the update by myself.
* There are too many places where the user could err in the flash upgrade which could brick the monitor.

I take that I can initiate an exchange because of the dithering issue as long as I am in my warranty?
* Correct.

And, Chris-M, can you confirm that the real Rev.A01 got changes to the hardware?
* Here is the statement from engineering, "We don’t give specifics. But the firmware did correct the dithering problem.".

February 18th, 2010 13:00

* The policy on New or Refurbished has been around since the CRT days. Nothing new there.

So you don't consider it a negative point that Dell continues to use an old and clearly outdated policy that, according to you, has not only remained unchanged for years but even applied to an extremely different type of product?

Or an even simpler way to put it: Why would not adapting policies to different times with different products be considered a good thing?

No Events found!