Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2014 02:00

U2414H, Mac Book Pro, DisplayPort 1.2 blank, resolved

I'm posting this here in the hope that it gets indexed by search engines and other people can find the answer I spent a couple of hours searching for without any luck.  I should say at the onset that I'm generally very happy with this monitor - love the super-thin bezel, very good image quality, easy to set up and a great price. However, most of this post is going to be a complaint and warning to others. I was told, incorrectly, that my early-2011 Mac Book Pro 15" mini-DisplayPort supported the DisplayPort 1.2 protocol. Turns out it doesn't. So when I enabled DisplayPort 1.2 the screen went blank, as the instructions said it might. No biggie, you'd think - just get the on-screen display (OSD) up again and either disable DisplayPort 1.2 or do a factory reset. Thing is, you can't get the OSD up until a source is correctly connected to the display. Which means that you can't either disable DisplayPort 1.2 or do a factory reset, which you want to do because you can't connect correctly to the display, until you correctly connect a device to the display. And so on and so on.

There is no other way to do a factory reset, therefore the only way for me to reset the monitor is to go and buy a mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable so I can connect to the monitor that way and do a factory reset. I confirmed this with a call to Dell tech support, too. I can't imagine quite how the thinking went when designing the firmware. How on earth do you design a monitor where the only way of doing a factory reset is when a device is correctly connected? A major flaw, but it'll only affect you if you don't know this in advance, hence this post.

It would also have been clearer if the warning had said "this may make your screen go blank which, until you have another cable to connect to it via HDMI, means that you essentially own an expensive piece of plastic.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 4th, 2014 10:00

AdrianMT,

Are you saying that doing the steps below does NOT reset the monitor to defaults?

* Disconnect the monitor power cord from the bottom of the monitor
* Press and hold in the monitor power button for 10 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor power cord
* Turn on the monitor

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 4th, 2014 16:00

Follow these steps to disable DP1.2 on the U2414H with NO signal input

Buttons =
Preset, Brightness, Menu, Exit, Power

When you press the Menu button, the buttons then are =
Up arrow, Down arrow, Check OK, Back, Power

* Turn off the monitor
* Unplug all video input cabling from the U2414H
* Turn on the monitor
* Press the Menu button
* Press the Check OK button (3rd from left) and HOLD for 15 seconds
* Then disable DP 1.2

3 Posts

March 4th, 2014 10:00

Hi Chris

The U2414H doesn't have a physical power button to hold in, just an on / off symbol that you touch.  Just so you can be sure I followed the steps you gave, holding my finger over the symbol instead of pushing a button in, and it didn't work.

Thanks

Adrian

3 Posts

March 5th, 2014 00:00

This did solve it.  Thanks Chris.  I wish your phone tech support people had known this as I've now got an HDMI cable I don't really need!

4 Posts

April 16th, 2014 15:00

This suggestion works.  You can actually repeat it and go back to DP 1.2 enabled settings also.   Thanks Chris for the tip.!!

5 Posts

October 17th, 2014 05:00

Thanks a million! it works

No Events found!