Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2017 12:00

U2417H, Daisychain, WD15 dock

Have new Dell Precision 5510, WD15 USB-C Dock, and 2 x U2417H monitors. Have updated all firmware, drivers, bios, etc. from Dell per instructions. Cannot get the daisy chain functionality to work for these monitors per instructions.

Have tried:

5510 --> USB-C --> WD15 --> mDP to DP --> U2417H (MST on and off) --> mDP to DP --> U2417H (MST on and off)

The best it does is mirror the 2 U2417H displays.

Why daisy chain, you ask? Because the HDMI out to a U2417H causes the monitor to behave differently than when using DP or mDP. On HDMI, the monitor takes longer to 'wake up' from power-saving mode (assume it isn't getting the HDMI signal as fast), the color is a little distorted, and every now and then the monitor flickers. Also, when the PC is in sleep mode, the HDMI monitor wakes from time to time for no reason where as the DP monitor does not. I've switched both monitors around to make sure one isn't defective, but they behave the same way just based on which input is used.

Thank you for your time!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 08:00

Based on other users, the fault lies with the WD15. But, read through this. They are instead using a TB3/USB-C to DP (DisplayPort) cable.

Laptop TB3/USB-C out port --> TB3/USB-C to DP cable --> Monitor #1 DP in port (MST/DP1.2 Enabled)
Monitor #1 DP out port --> DP to mDP cable --> Monitor #2 mDP in port (MST/DP1.2 Disabled)

-or-

Laptop TB3/USB-C out port --> TB3/USB-C to DP cable --> Monitor #1 DP in port (MST/DP1.2 Enabled)
Monitor #1 DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> Monitor #2 DP in port (MST/DP1.2 Disabled)

10 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 09:00

Thanks for your review and reply, Chris!

So, if I'm understanding your wiring, you're essentially saying to not use the WD15 dock at all if I want to do the daisy chaining? Kind of defeats the purpose and benefits of the dock, eh?

I'll run through the driver/firmware install again per the articles, give it one more shot with the the dock. I'll also try without the doc to confirm your wiring works.

Ultimately, if daisy chaining doesn't work with the dock, then I won't be using the daisy chain feature. The ability to have a dock that runs off a single USB-C cable to the laptop to not only power the laptop but connect multiple high-res displays, extra USB3 ports, audio, and NIC is just worth way more than daisy chaining.

Now, is there a better dock that you'd recommend compatible with the Precision 5510? How is the TB15?

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 6th, 2017 06:00

Check out the Targus line of USB-C docks.

10 Posts

May 24th, 2017 15:00

So, I never got the WB15 to work with daisy chaining, even re-installing everything and following the link you sent. Disappointed considering Dell advertising this has working for both the monitors and the docking station, would love to return it for a refund.

Anyway, I just broke down and purchased a brand new TB16 to use with my precision 5510 laptop and 2 x U2417H monitors, followed all the install and driver instructions, and have the exact same problem! So, just like the WB15, the TB16 advertises to support daisy chaining monitors and yet it doesn't seem to work either!! Any guidance with the TB16? Am I missing something here?

Thank you for your help!

2 Posts

June 26th, 2019 00:00

You need switch on support daisy chain in your first monitor.

But, i think that you don't can use resolution 2.5K both monitors

No Events found!