Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2020 19:00

U2417H, Lenovo Yoga 730, not connecting?

Hey everyone! This is my first post and I made an account to just ask about this.

I just bought a U2417H monitor to use with my Lenovo Yoga 730. My laptop doesn't have an MDP/DP input, so I only connected the monitor to my laptop using the USB cable. Yet, when I switch the input source settings on my monitor to HDMI/MHL cable, it says "No HDMI/MHL Cable" and that it will go on power-saving mode.

My laptop settings say that it's already connected to my monitor. I've tried installing the drivers on my laptop, restarting both my laptop and monitor, and even unplugging the cables.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: made a mistake and typed HDMI instead of USB

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 18th, 2020 20:00

@voyantce  Happy to help! I didn't see a USB-C to DP cable that you linked, but you could order the one that I linked.  Or like I said in my next reply, you could consider that adapter dongle that would allow you to connect your laptop charger and display through the same port on your laptop.  Given the minimal cost difference and the fact that you've already got a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable on hand, I'd go with the latter solution.  You never know when you might want to have that second USB-C port on your laptop available for some other device!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@voyantce  Just saw your reply.  Ok, your reply is a bit ambiguous since your laptop has USB-C ports and a USB-A "regular USB" port.  And you just said you used the USB cable and selected the HDMI/MHL input.  So do you have an adapter that plugs into the USB-A "regular USB" port and then gives you an HDMI output, and then you're using a regular HDMI cable to plug into the display's HDMI input?  Or are you saying you just used the USB cable that came with the display to connect to the display's "upstream" USB port, leaving nothing actually connected to the display's HDMI/MHL input?  If that's the case, then selecting the HDMI/MHL input on the display isn't going to do anything because you have nothing feeding that input.  And the USB cable included with the display isn't meant for video output.  The purpose of that cable is to allow you to use the USB ports built into your display as an external USB hub.  So for example you could plug a keyboard, mouse, printer, etc. into the display's USB ports, and the fact that you have a USB cable connecting the display and laptop will make all of those devices usable by your laptop.  But you'd still need a separate cable to carry a video signal.

If that isn't helpful, please be much more precise about exactly what cable you're using and exactly what ports you're plugging it into on each end.  Since you mentioned you selected the HDMI/MHL input, I figured you actually had a cable plugged into that port.  But then you just mentioned using a USB cable, and regular USB cables don't plug into HDMI ports.

Or if you just to know what you need here, the best solution is to get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, like this one.  Connect the USB-C side to the USB-C port on your laptop that supports Thunderbolt 3, then connect the DisplayPort side to the DisplayPort input on the display -- NOT the DisplayPort output.  Don't mix those up.  Then set the display to use its DisplayPort input.  And if you want to use the display's USB ports for peripherals, then keep that USB cable connected as well.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@voyantce  Quick follow-up: On the likely possibility that you're using a USB-C to HDMI cable/adapter, the Tech Specs for that system indicates that it has one USB-C port that supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 -- but there's no mention of video output support for that port.  That's optional on USB-C ports, and Lenovo typically mentions that capability when it's available.  However, the Tech Specs also mention a USB-C port that supports Thunderbolt 3.  Video output support is mandatory for TB3 ports.  So in case you currently have your cable plugged into the "data-only" USB-C port, try simply moving it over the other USB-C port.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@voyantce  According to the Tech Specs for the Yoga 730 on Lenovo's website, that system doesn't have an HDMI output. So what sort of cable (and adapter if applicable) are you using to make the connection between the display's HDMI input and your Yoga 730?

4 Posts

My mistake, I just edited the description. I meant to type USB cable, and that I used and switched the input source to HDMI/MHL.

4 Posts

Thanks so much!! I just ordered the adaptor that you linked!

4 Posts

Hello! Oh, man. Yes, I'm only using the one given in the box that connects to my laptop's regular USB 3.0 port. Would it just be better if I ordered the USB-C to DP cable that I linked? You've been so informative and a great help. I really appreciate this!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@voyantce  Here's an alternative to the USB-C to DisplayPort cable solution I mentioned above that you might prefer for the additional convenience.  Since you already have a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable that came with the display, consider getting this adapter instead.  The benefit is that in addition to giving you a DisplayPort output, it also has a USB-C power passthrough port, so you can connect your laptop's charger and then plug the adapter into your laptop's Thunderbolt 3 port.  At that point you'll have power and video consolidated onto a single port, keeping your other USB-C port free for something else you might want to plug in.  And then for video, you'd just use the Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect the adapter's DisplayPort output to the display's Mini-DisplayPort input, and set the display to use its Mini-DisplayPort input.  Good luck!

No Events found!