Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2015 21:00

U2515H, black screen with error during booting until Windows login screen

This is a frustrating half-working situation.

Was doing this:

display card HDMI port --> HDMI-to-HDMI cable --> U2515H HDMI port

This set up worked in Windows 7, with resolution 2560x1440 attained.

However, when doing a reboot of the machine, the monitor went black and cannot show the BIOS POST screen (those text that showed how much RAM you have, what HD are detected etc). More, there was an error message on screen, saying:

"The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 2560x1440, 60Hz, or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications"

The blank screen and error message persisted until Windows loaded to the login screen. That means I can't even see the Windows logo, or the safe mode selection screen if I press F8.

So there was no way for me to go into BIOS to change any setting, or do a safe boot.

Tried to use a DVI-HDMI converter, and also a DVI-HDMI cable to make use of the DVI port of my video card. Still same error as above. Worse, this set up did not work in Windows 7, giving me a blank screen.

I am sure the DVI port on my video card is working, cos it can work with my old Samsung monitor. Inspired by this, the following steps, to be followed exactly, can force the U2515H to show the BIOS screen:

1.  Shut down and power down the computer.

2.  video card DVI port --> DVI-to-DVI cable --> old Samsung monitor DVI port

3.  Power up the computer. The POST screen will show on the Samsung monitor.

4.  Go into the BIOS screen by pressing DEL.

5.  Unplug the DVI-to-DVI cable from video card DVI port.

6.   video card DVI port --> DVI-to-HDMI cable --> U2515H HDMI port

The thing is, if I have to keep the old monitor, why bother to buy the new Dell U2515H?

So, how can I get the U2515H to accept signal from my video card during the POST screen and booting phase, without going through such tedious steps each time? Thanks in advance!

Hardware:

mother board: Asus P5K-E Wifi (latest BIOS)

video card: Galaxy 8800GT (DVI, HDMI)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 30th, 2015 08:00

It appears that your ASUS motherboard has a blue PCIe x16 slot. So any of the mid range PCIe x16 video cards will suffice. Go here. I have sorted this by Nvidia PCIe x16 2.0 video cards, low to high price. Look for one with DP or mDP. Or simply go to a local store and check for PCIe x16 video cards with DP or mDP.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 29th, 2015 13:00

No way around this. All new monitors are not shipping with old technology. DVI and VGA are going away. Your video card is eight years old. My advice, invest in a video card that has mDP out or DP out. Then you should not have these issues.

6 Posts

April 29th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the reply Chris. Any suggested chips for the video card? How "modern" has it to be?

6 Posts

May 10th, 2015 05:00

Thanks Chris.

I ended up going the other way round, and bought an old 15-inch monitor with a a DVI input. The boot sequence and BIOS screen can be displayed on this new "old" monitor, so it solved my problem. The added benefit is that I gain a dual display.

Will look into buying a new video card when I upgrade my system.

No Events found!