Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2017 07:00

U2717D, A02 to A03 revision changes

Hello,

I recently got myself 2 U2727D for a dual display setup. Due to damaged packaging and dead pixels I got a replacement for one of them. For some reason only the display itself has been replaced and I even got the old, and therefore useless, factory report. However, the replacement has been Revision A03, whereas the previous one has been A02. Both of them side-by-side looked like two completely different panels/ models. It was hard to work with them, as colours and especially the difference in colour temperature looked terrible. It really made me question the factory calibration, so I borrowed a friend's Spyder 4. The A02 was 6900K and gamma 2.5, whereas the A03 was 6000K and gamma 2.2. Other metrics also looked very different from each other.

What is the difference between A02 and A03? Did the calibration process change?

What colour temperature, gamma,... are the displays calibrated on?

Are Revision A02 and A03 even using the same panel?

Thanks in advance!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 11th, 2017 13:00

What is the difference between A02 and A03?
* Unknown. Revision data changes are no longer given to us.

Did the calibration process change?
* Unknown. The U2717D was not validated with the DUCCS (Dell Ultrasharp Color Calibration Solution) software. So we do not have a "calibration process" for it. You will need to check with Datacolor Spyder 4 for help with their hardware and software.

What colour temperature, gamma are the displays calibrated on?
* The Kelvin and Gamma settings are unique for each panel. For example, the TFTCentral review had one with 6536 Kelvin and 2.2 Gamma. He used the the X-rite i1 Pro 2 Spectrophotometer combined with the LaCie Blue Eye Pro software package. Both U2717D should be reset to Factory Defaults in the OSD (On Screen Display) and then attempt calibration with Spyder 4.

Are Revision A02 and A03 even using the same panel?
* Yes, Samsung PLS LTM270DL11.

July 5th, 2017 05:00

Thank you for your reply, Chris. I have a few more questions regarding that topic:

From your answer I read that the term "factory calibration" used to market the display is solely referring to "measuring the characteristics of color temperature and gamma but without adjusting them". But the colors themselves are indeed calibrated. Is that correct?

Do you have any advice on how to get 2 Dell U2717D that are very similar in terms of color temperature and gamma?

Using a Spyder for calibration kind of works but has some downsides as well: E.g. when gaming and alt-tabbing, or when a background application pops to foreground the profile gets temporarily unloaded, leaving you with the shift in color, which is annoying.

So I'm probably interested in some kind of hardware calibration then? This would calibrate the display itself (mostly) independent from the computer attached to it?

From my research the Dell U2717D has no support for hardware calibration (with the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Software (DUCCS))?

Others like the Dell UP2716D can be hardware calibrated (with the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Software (DUCCS))? Does the Dell UP2716 series have unique color temperature and gamma values for each display as well?

Thanks for your reply!

Best regards,

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 5th, 2017 09:00

From your answer I read that the term "factory calibration" used to market the display is solely referring to "measuring the characteristics of color temperature and gamma but without adjusting them". But the colors themselves are indeed calibrated. Is that correct?
* Every panel is unique but all must fall within the manufacturer parameters for colors.

Do you have any advice on how to get 2 Dell U2717D that are very similar in terms of color temperature and gamma? Using a Spyder for calibration kind of works but has some downsides as well: E.g. when gaming and alt-tabbing, or when a background application pops to foreground the profile gets temporarily unloaded, leaving you with the shift in color, which is annoying. So I'm probably interested in some kind of hardware calibration then? This would calibrate the display itself (mostly) independent from the computer attached to it? From my research the Dell U2717D has no support for hardware calibration (with the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Software (DUCCS))? Others like the Dell UP2716D can be hardware calibrated (with the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Software (DUCCS))?
* Yes, you should get both the hardware colorimeter and matching software.

Does the Dell UP2716 series have unique color temperature and gamma values for each display as well?
* Every panel is unique but all must fall within the manufacturer parameters for colors. So the settings for each panel will differ.

No Events found!