Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2013 08:00

U3014 USB 3.0 card reader issue.

Hello.

I'm having a problem with my USB hub, specifically the card reader and wondering who else has a similar problem. Now, this has strictly appeared when Ive upgraded to the haswell platform, specifically Z87 (C2 revision) chipset. I'm running windows 8 pro X64 with all the latest drivers for all of my peripherals and updates along with the latest BIOS update. The nature of the problem is that the card reader will stop working. The USB ports will work fine but the card reader will refuse to read any cards and simply does not get registered by the OS. Interesting to note is before I upgraded to this platform, I was running a Z68 chipset (P8Z68-V PRO motherboard) with windows 8 X64 through motherboards ASMEDIA USB 3 ports and never had an issue like this. Its safe to say its a driver issue. I have found a way to get around this issue to get the card reader working and that is go into device manager and disable the "Realtek USB 3.0 Card Reader" and re-enable it again. This will get the card reader working but if unused for a period of time it will stop reading cards again and you will need to repeat the process again. Now, Ive tested a vast array of different SD cards and the symptoms are identical, I'm using the cable that was supplied by dell in the box to connect the USB 3 hub to my computer. One more thing, prior to this I had another motherboard with a Z87 chipset (C1 revision) and it had the same identical issue, therefore its not a motherboard or chipset related. Thus, its most likely the Realtek driver for this hub that is flawed.

Edit: it seems that its a problem with Intel's chipset software driver.

Any thoughts?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 9th, 2013 10:00

L36,

We do not offer a dedicated U3014 Realtek USB 3.0 hub driver. The motherboard chipset driver provides the Realtek USB 3.0 hub driver. If the U3014 card reader worked on the Z68 motherboard chipset driver, then the U3014 hardware is fine. It sounds like the motherboard manufacturer needs to update its Z87 chipset driver to function with the U3014 Realtek hub?

10 Posts

September 9th, 2013 14:00

Well there are two major distinctions I’d like to point out. The USB 3 controller on the P8Z68 board is a third party controller which uses PCI 2.0 lanes to convert them for usable bandwidth for the USB 3 controller while the Z87 case I'm using Intel’s native ports which are controlled by their Z87 chipset. I have the latest chipset drivers. Maybe it’s wrong of me to assume that the Realtek driver is to blame, it’s possible that Intel’s chipset driver is bugged but the reason I’m posting it here is because if you guys can reproduce this in your labs, Intel would take you much more seriously than me.

Plus, previous to this I had a Z87 board revision C1 from gigabyte and it had same identical symptoms so I doubt this is manufacturer related. It’s either Intel’s chipset driver or potentially Realteks card reader driver. I’ll try to use Windows Performance Analyzer to monitor device activity and see if that will give me some information to what is the problem.

PS: motherboard manufacturers do not provide chipset drivers, its all handled by Intel. In all cases motherboard manufacturers just repost same drivers Intel posts on their site.

10 Posts

September 9th, 2013 19:00

I also have a similar issue with the USB 3 ports, but once I got my ASUS HERO with C2 revision of the Z87 chipset, this no longer happens. It seems that third party USB 3 controllers do not have such issues but Intel’s native USB 3 ports do. At some rare occasions when I plug in my iPod classic it will not charge until I plug it in several times back to back into the USB 3 port of my monitor, but if I plug in the hub into a USB 2 port, it works fine. It seems that as I’ve previously blamed Realtek driver has nothing to do with this, it’s most likely a problem in Intel’s chipset drivers and Intel would take Dell’s QA team much more seriously than a small fraction of users therefore I would hope Dell would try to reproduce these issues in their labs.

1 Message

September 9th, 2013 19:00

I'm also having a problem, but with a U2713HM.

If I connect its USB3 hub to the back panel USB3 ports on my ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 motherboard, it disconnects every other USB device connected to my system. It then seems to connect for a very short while, disconnect again and repeat this cycle indefinitely.

I have to connect it to the front panel ports USB3 for it to work (which are provided by an ASMedia hub).

1 Message

October 13th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your post- I was beginning to think my U3014 was faulty because the card reader wouldn't pick up an SD card even although the Realtek USB3.0 card reader installed ok and is seen in control panel. As with you my monitor USB3.0 ports work fine so I don't think it's a motherboard fault (I have Intel B75 board)

Interestingly when I plugged an SD card in my display also turned pink!!! I changed resolution, changed back and this cleared. I've had this weird colour hue a couple of times. Bit disappointing on a monitor like this.

14 Posts

October 29th, 2013 09:00

I had an issue with my U3014 and the USB 3.0 ports/card reader when I got my monitor. My issue was that for some reason my Asus p8z77-V deluxe when the U3014 USB 3.0 port was plugged into any motherboard USB 3.0 port it wouldn't be able to see my keyboard or mouse that were plugged into other USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard outside of windows. So there was no way to get into the bios or even get into windows safe mode. Long story short, it turned out the problem was from a bios setting. The motherboard manufacturer, recommended I have a setting called "Legacy USB 3.0 support" enabled, it makes sense and it was enabled by default so there was no need to change it, but after basically trying everything else I could think of, I disabled this feature, and all of a sudden everything works as expected. Both Keyboard and mouse are working outside of windows. So you might want to try this changing this setting, especially since I think you have an Asus motherboard. This might not be completely like your problem, but I also had an issue of the card reader stopped working initially, but at the time, I thought it was a driver issue, and I didn't really use it till after I fixed the boot up no KB/M issue. But as of today, the U3014, USB 3 ports and card reader are working perfectly for me.

2 Posts

February 7th, 2014 12:00

Had same issue test on 3 mother boards. what has worked for me is manually installing generic mass storage driver in place of realtek 3.0 card reader driver.

windows auto update installs realtek driver. issue is with the hub not having proper code for  auto driver installation.  this is a critical issue . when driver has issue disconnects  all other usb devices attached usb hard-drive can become  corrupted leading to data loss.

10 Posts

February 7th, 2014 12:00

Can you please link me to the driver?

2 Posts

February 9th, 2014 12:00

in device manager right click realtek usb 3.0 card reader. Select update driver. select Browse my computer for driver software.

Select let me choose form list of device drivers. select generic mass storage device. Pet me know how it works for you.

No Events found!