Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 12th, 2016 15:00

U3014 goes into standby and won't turn back on

I recently got a new Dell Laptop M5510 (W10) and am connecting via a HDMI cable to my Dell U3014 monitor.  I have noticed that when my laptop goes into standby sometimes the monitor stays on with a black screen and back light bleed.  When I wake the computer the monitor stays asleep.  The buttons on the monitor don't work to bring on OSD.  My only remediation is to hold the power button on the monitor until it turns off then turn it back on again.   Am I missing something?  I have tried two different HDMI cables.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 13th, 2016 07:00

This is most likely the fault of the laptop not re-initializing (polling) the video handshake back to the monitor when it comes out of standby. The monitor is passive and does not start the connection process.

* While the monitor and laptop are on, turn the laptop off, then on. If the monitor works, this means that the laptop initialized the video handshake to the monitor. 

* From the on state (laptop and monitor), restart the laptop. If the monitor works, this means that the laptop initialized the video handshake to the monitor.

* But if the monitor and laptop are on, and you put the laptop into standby, then wake it up, this means that the laptop is not starting the video card handshake to the monitor. You should then post on the Laptop General Hardware board to get their thoughts.

7 Posts

May 17th, 2016 18:00

okay then the dell Precision M5510 had more problems

No Events found!