Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 17:00

U3419W, firmware update from M3B111 to M3B112 fails

My brand-new U3419W has the common problem of randomly blanking a few minutes after switching to a new input. The solution seems to be to upgrade to firmware M3B112.

I have tried to do this, but the monitor firmware won't upgrade. I made a video of the failed upgrade process. Around 0:45 in the video, the progress bar suddenly jumps to the end and reports a successful upgrade, the monitor works but the buttons no longer do, and unplugging/replugging the monitor power restarts it into the old M3B111 firmware version.

I have followed the intricate instructions in the manual. I have tried three different Windows machines, each downloading a fresh copy of the firmware installer, and I've swapped all the data cables. I have waited from seconds to hours before unplugging/replugging the monitor. In every case, it reports success in exactly the same way, and fails in exactly the same way.

How can I upgrade my brand-new monitor and hopefully fix this blanking issue? And why did a monitor from last week ship with old firmware to begin with?

5 Posts

November 12th, 2020 16:00

Dell resolved my issue by sending me a new monitor that didn't have the blanking problem. By the way, I narrowed it down to a second video source turning off its signal, which blanks the monitor even if it's displaying a different video source. Curiously, this new monitor is still running M3B111, which is odd because I thought M3B112 was supposed to fix the blanking problem. Thus there is a solution to the issue; unfortunately it seems to involve getting Dell to replace your monitor, so it's not a self-service solution. And I don't know if we'll ever be able to update the U3419W to a newer firmware version, if one is ever released.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 6th, 2020 10:00

We were told that the non-released to public M3B112 firmware only corrected a specific issue = U3419W, two PCs, one sleeps, monitor blank

If your U3419W shipped with firmware M3B111, you should not install firmware M3B112. The U3419W that shipped with firmware M3B111 have a different LCD panel and PCB board that are not designed for firmware M3B112. Firmware M3B112 should only be installed on a U3419W that has firmware M3B107 currently installed. Open the U3419W Menu- Others- Firmware to verify that M3B107 is installed.

• 

25.7K Posts

October 22nd, 2020 17:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work the issue. You may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 09:00

I'm getting the strangest responses from Dell representatives in chat (particularly @DELL-Jesse L). They keep saying to try firmware updates. I'm not sure the chat representatives are understanding that the firmware updates are failing. That's what I said in the subject line of this thread. That's what the video I posted shows.

How can I get someone to address the issue that firmware updates fail on this U3419W monitor, and not to recommend trying a firmware update to fix the problem?

• 

17K Posts

October 23rd, 2020 09:00

octopay,

Apologies. I will be discussing it with our Display engineers. I will let you know what they say once I hear back.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2020 08:00

I got another private reply from @DELL-Cares (signed by "Kavyashree"). Surprisingly, the suggestion was to try the same file that was linked to in older post. Not surprisingly, it failed exactly the same way.

For future reference, the SHA256 sum of both executables is 21D5AF3D00D40672E2DEA0B3CF837BA43405A5CD3FECB1AAFB3B54558BDCE8D3.

I don't know why Dell reps keep suggesting to try firmware updates when the problem is firmware updates fail. I don't know why Dell reps keep suggesting the exact files I told them I already tried.

Dell, do you want this monitor back? I don't have an arbitrary number of half hours to spend repeating the troubleshooting steps I already told you I tried. So far I have gotten zero new information or value from Dell Support since filing my initial request. Can you do better?

15 Posts

November 12th, 2020 15:00

Same exact problem here with symptoms and flash failure. The Dell monitor phone support line had no idea what I was talking about; chat is not available for monitor support. They did not seem to know the difference between firmware and a driver or even what a Latitude notebook was (!) and kept telling me to download and flash with the A00 firmware from last November 2019. That version is M3B107. Now, while it is entirely possible that sometimes flashing to an older version does fix things, I am skeptical that is the case here and am unwilling to attempt it (assuming the monitor will even let you flash downwards). 

I messaged Chris directly to see if he has any further information.  

15 Posts

November 12th, 2020 17:00

Thanks for your input! Hm, curious. There were people in the original thread claiming that they were able to do the flash successfully and it remedied the problem (unless I misread?). Not sure what I can do here besides exchange/return the monitor and hope for the best (firmware version), if you are correct. 

No Events found!