Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

August 7th, 2016 04:00

UP2516D - Auto pivoting/rotation

HI,

In the first week of June I received my UP2516D. For design work (WP theme design and dev) I need to switch to portrait mode. And having to change from landscape to portrait and vice versa in the settings of Windows or the GPU is getting a bit annoying to be honest. It's also awkward getting the mouse pointer to move correctly to the settings.

Whatever I do, I cannot get the displayed image to pivot automatically when I pivot the screen to portrait mode. I also tried this with the OSD set to "Display > Aspect Ratio > Auto Resize" instead of "Wide 16:9".

Also the specs on the sales page don't specifically mention that pivoting is automatic. I just assumed.

When I installed DDM, I did read the following in its info window. But I'm not sure if Auto rotation equals Auto Pivoting. :

Auto-rotation
-----------------------------------------------
Auto-rotation is only available on displays with
supporting firmware, and only applies to changes in
physical or OSD menu orientation made while Dell Display
Manager is connected to the monitor.

And I don't know if this is relevant:

- at the back of the monitor the revision is A00, Sep 2015.

- I bought the monitor in The Netherlands from an online shop. (Should I take this to a native forum?)

Does anyone know how to automatically change the displayed image from landscape to portrait and vice versa, when I pivot the screen?

Cheers

234 Posts

August 8th, 2016 03:00

With the UP2516D I think the autorotation (or autopivot) is triggered by the OSD and executed by DDM.

1. Run DDM

2. Go into the OSD menu > Menu > Rotation

When you change the OSD menu rotation, DDM automatically changes the Windows screen orientation to match.

In the OSD menu, use the Personalize > Shortcut keys to assign one of the shortcut buttons to Rotation so you don't have to step thru the menu.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 7th, 2016 13:00

Here are all of the UP2516D manuals. In the User's Guide page 26, it discusses physically rotating the UP2516D. It goes on to say, "To use the Display Rotation function (Landscape versus Portrait view) with your Dell computer, you require an updated graphics driver that is not included with this monitor.". So that tells us that the video card control panel is in charge of auto rotation, not the UP2516D. Page 27 discusses how to manually change the  rotation but again does not mention auto rotation.

There is a rotation setting in the OSD (On Screen Display), page 48. But that is only to rotate the OSD, not the operating system.

August 8th, 2016 05:00

@Dell-Chris M Those instructions from the manual that you posted. That's what i'm doing umpty (not umpteen) times a day when working with Adobe Illustrator. (I wrote that in the first paragraph.)

The description of the Rotation setting, in the Menu option of the OSD, is wrong. Because it does rotate the displayed image in addition to the OSD itself. It's just a bit sluggish. I just have to wait long enough. And you can only rotate counter-clockwise. So I have to keep rotating forward until I'm back at landscape. 

But it is just as laborious/ long-winded to reach it as are the 2 other options (Windows' display settings and the GPU's display settings.)

To be fair, and what I posted earlier, the Dell docs and sales page never mentioned auto ratation when pivoting the screen. I just assumed. I learned from my mistake though.

August 8th, 2016 05:00

@swamped Just noticed the email for your post.

I autostart DDM at login.

And I already noticed the OSD menu rotation behaviour.

But you Sir, just made it usable! By providing the tip for the shortcut key.

I replaced the Brightness/Contrast preset, with Rotation.

I can live with that.

Thanks very much. To both of you.

No Events found!