Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2016 10:00

UP2716D, Calibration software does not work

Reason line = UP2716Dx2, Calibration Software for these monitors simply does not work. iDisplay software works great without any problems. Trying to use the Dell DUCCS other than 1.5.3 simply does not work. 1.5.3 does not allow the ability to properly calibrate this display. Is this going to be remedied anytime soon? I have tried everything I could find in this forum. Using 1.5.3 is NOT a solution but a work around.

* What is the 20 digit alpha-numeric monitor serial number?
CN0KV9707444559T372L & CN0KV9707444559T509L

* What specific computer model? Asus Essentio

* What operating system? Windows 10

* What video card?
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card 06G-P4-4995-KR

* Video card driver version? 361.43

* What video out ports are available on the video card? Display Port x3 HDMI, DVI

* What video out port are you using from the video card to what video in port on the monitor?
Display Port to Display Port. Full size. Tried both Daisy Chained and separate outputs.

* What cable are you using to attach the video card to the monitor?
6’ & 10’ Cable Matters. 1 of the 2 original Dell cables was bad out of the box. From what I have read that is an issue as well.

* What windows power plan? High Performance

* Press the monitor Menu button to open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display). The bottom of that screen should show a resolution. What is listed? 2560x1440, 60hz

* Was the monitor purchased from Dell or some reseller? Purchased from Dell.

10 Posts

January 28th, 2016 18:00

Would like to thank those who gave out some advice. I did get the second display calibrated.

After an unsuccessful attempt at calibration last night that I noted a few post above I remembered something about Dell monitors and less than perfect USB 3.0 support. I simply moved the USB cable from the 3.0 slot to a 2.0 slot on the back of the computer and it worked. The primary monitor was already plugged into USB 2.0. So... Unless you need the speed of USB 3.0 from the monitor hub. Stick to 2.0 from the computer and buy a dedicated USB 3.0 hub. This was using 1.5.10

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 25th, 2016 11:00

Did you only have one UP2716D connected to the computer when calibration was attempted? If not, try it.

When I go to the UP2716D support page and change the operating system to Windows 10 64-bit, the X-rite version listed is 1.5.10.

So disconnect the second monitor from the computer, uninstall DUCCS 1.5.3 and any retail versions, reboot the computer, install DUCCS 1.5.10, reboot the computer, then attempt to calibrate the single monitor. I would plug the i1DisplayPro directly into the computer, not the monitor. Post your results when done.

10 Posts

January 25th, 2016 18:00

I'll give it another shot as soon as I can. I originally had the iProfiler software installed. I uninstalled it as recommended by this site. Since the monitors came with only one working displayport cable I could only try and calibrate one monitor. I installed the DUCCS that came with the monitors as well as The Dell Monitor Manager. Downloaded and installed the software and It froze at the start measurement screen the first time I ran it with the IDisplayPro connected to the computer. 

Tried a few more times with the same result. Also noted the screen randomly going black for a few seconds. Found this forum and it was recommended to uninstall Dell Display Monitor. That did take care of the Blackout issue.

I purchased some new Cable Matters displayport cables. That fixed the connectivity issue. I tried once again to calibrate still no luck. Searched these forums and saw that it was recommended to go back to 1.5.3. Tried that and it worked. Kind of. It allowed me to calibrate both displays without any fiddling around with turning monitors on and off, disconnecting cables, none of the work around nonsense. Just like the iProfile software.

Then I noticed 1.5.3 did not allow me to save to CAL1 or CAL2. It also did not recognize GB-LED backlight. So I tried again with the latest 1.5.10 software. Uninstalled 1.5.3. Deleted all of the ICC profiles generated with it. Disconnected the second monitor. Rebooted the computer Installed 1.5.10. Ran 1.5.10 and once again it froze on the Start Measurement screen.

This is when I finally gave up and posted to this forum. As a photographer I've always used two monitors and have never had an issue with calibration. These are my first and maybe last wide gamut hardware calibrated monitors. I would have thought that using the latest in graphics cards and displayport cabling that calibration would be pretty straight forward. The idea of having to turn off monitors, remove USB cables, and only calibrate using the computers USB ports is step in the wrong direction. I can calibrate both monitors with no issues at all using the iProfile and 1.5.3 software.

Before going through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling DUCCS software. Is it even possible to calibrate two monitors using 1.5.10?  

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 26th, 2016 05:00

I was told to never have both connected when calibrating. Did you test versions 1.5.9 and 1.5.8?

* The monitor should be set to Factory Defaults in the OSD (On Screen Display). Look for Other Settings- Factory Reset- Reset All Settings
* The monitor USB upstream cable must be connected to the computer USB port
* In a two or more monitor setup, only ONE monitor should be connected to the computer via USB upstream cable at a time when calibrating
* DisplayPort 1.2 must be disabled in the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) -Display Settings before calibration
* The Xrite i1Display Pro device should be tested in TWO ways =
Test it connected directly to the computer USB ports
Test it on all of the monitor bottom USB downstream ports

10 Posts

January 26th, 2016 18:00

So by connected are you referencing the USB cables? I currently have both monitors connected to the graphic card with two separate cables. DP 1.2 is disabled on both monitors. So I should be able to...

• Uninstall iDisplay software.
  • Delete current icc profiles for each monitor from "Color Management" within Windows.
  • Reboot.
  • Install DUCCS 1.5.8 or 1.5.9 or 1.5.10.
  • Reboot.
  • Reset both monitors with OSD Factory Reset.
  • Unplug USB Upstream cable from 2nd monitor.
  • Calibrate Primary monitor and save profile.
  • Unplug USB cable from Primary monitor.
  • Plug USB cable to 2nd monitor back in.
  • Calibrate 2nd monitor and save profile.
  • Plug USB cable back into Primary monitor.
  • Enjoy properly hardware calibrated monitors?

Will give it a shot soon.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 27th, 2016 06:00

So by connected are you referencing the USB cables?
* I am saying disconnect the second monitors both USB and video cables from the computer as rproulx did.

52 Posts

January 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi CJYPhoto,

I went through a similar experience with my U2413 and posted what worked for me at:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19657761

I'm still hoping to see a version of DUCCS that works without having to jump through hoops just to calibrate 2 attached monitors. I previously used two NEC monitors with NEC's Spectraview II software and the same X-Rite i1 sensor. It could hardware calibrate both monitors with only DVI cables connected, worked with both plugged in and running at the same time, and without any need for a USB connection. I don't use the USB ports on the monitors, so the cable's only connected when calibrating and profiling.

The solution for me was was to set the system display in single monitor mode with the second monitor disconnected from the graphics card. I also found that DUCCS worked with both USB-3 and USB-2 cables.

Good luck,

Russell

10 Posts

January 27th, 2016 16:00

Thank you for the tips. Seems like a lot of trouble. Hopefully they will be able to fix with a software update. I will post back when and if I am able to calibrate properly.

10 Posts

January 27th, 2016 20:00

All right, Tell me where I went wrong. Does Dell understand that a lot of photographers run two monitor setups?

• Control Panel > Uninstall Programs > i1Profiler
  • Control Panel > Uninstall Programs > X-Rite Device Service Manager
  • Color Management > Remove all .icm profiles for Display 1 & 2
  • Shutdown > Remove cables from 2nd monitor.
  • Update Monitor Firmware
  • Install DUCCS 1.5.10
  • Color Management > All Profiles > Removed all references to the two monitors.
  • Restart
  • Insert iDisplay to downward port of Display 1
  • Start DUCCS
  • Reset Monitor to Factory Default
  • Start Calibration
  • Finish Calibration Save .icm profile as Dell UP2716DR.icm
  • Close DUCCS
  • Shutdown Computer
  • Unplug USB & DP cables from Monitor 1. Plug USB & DP cables back in to Monitor 2.
  • Restart Computer
  • Insert iDisplay to downward port of Display 2
  • Start DUCCS
  • Get stuck once again at calibration page. *** Dell!
  • Restart DUCCS
  • Calibrator is recognized on home screen just as it was earlier but not recognized when trying to start calibration.
  • Not allowed to start measurement even after plugging calibrator into the computer!
  • Another failure.
  • Let me try the unplug trick with the second monitor
  • Shutdown computer
  • Unplug all cables from second monitor. Hold Power button for 30 seconds.
  • Plugged all cables back into second monitor.
  • Restarted the computer
  • Factory reset of second monitor. First monitor is still unplugged.
  • Start DUCCS
  • DUCCS Not Responding when getting to actual calibration page!

Am I missing something here? The first monitor calibrates just fine. The second monitor even with the first monitor completely unplugged WILL NOT CALIBRATE WITH DUCCS!

What is really frustrating is the profiler software that comes with iDisplay Pro will calibrate anything and everything without a hiccup. Including a third LG monitor that was unplugged throughout this attempt at calibration The Dell software can barely calibrate its own monitors targeted at people who want and will pay extra for monitors that can be properly calibrated.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 27th, 2016 20:00

Test the iDisplay in all of the second monitors USB downstream ports =
Two bottom
Two side

Then plug the iDisplay into the computer USB downstream ports and retest.

10 Posts

January 27th, 2016 21:00

I tried bottom, side, and computer. Received audible confirmation each time the calibrator was unplugged and plugged back in. When starting DUCCS the first three icons in the lower right went from red X to green check mark indicating that the calibrator was present and legit. Only when I get to the actual calibration screen does DUCCS have a problem.

Like I said earlier The iProfiler software will calibrate no matter how things are set up. DUCCS apparently needs some sort of complicated ritual that I have yet to master or maybe the second monitor has some sort of issue with hardware calibration.

I did not try versions 1.5.8 or 1.5.9. I really did not think that calibration would become so much of a problem. I've been calibrating my monitors for over ten years now and do not believe it should take this much time and aggravation. Is there a version of the DUCCS that absolutely works properly that I should give one more try?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 16th, 2016 05:00

No Events found!