Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2013 08:00

UP3214Q/UP2414Q - 1/2 screen issue and/or No picture after powering off, then on

I got some more problems with the UP3214Q: Every couple of computer starts, once I get the login screen displayed, only half the screen shows a picture (the right hand side), with the left half being black. After login, I get the full picture. Prior to the login screen, I also have full screen picture (BIOS screen, Windows loading screen). The second issue is even more annoying: If I power off the device while my PC is still running, then power it back on, I will never get a picture again. No amount of hitting random keys and klicking about (I can hear windows and moan in the background If I manage to blindly hit the wrong option) will get back any picture. Neither will switching to another input then back, nor will unplugging the displayport cable from the machine, or putting the machine to sleep and returning it back from sleep. The only way to get the picture back is to shut down the shut down the machine completely, then boot it up again. Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with my display?

41 Posts

January 27th, 2014 07:00

NVIDIA 331.93 does not seem to have the half screen issue, but still have to powercycle the monitor after a pause. 

Now it kinda works as i've expected, but its a bit of a bitter experience. This is not what i've used to in the pro range. I am not sure if i am happy with the monitor or not, but since it does not seem to have any pixel defects I am not very eager to return it.  Dell does make quite good display and i cannot blame them for software issues that will be remedied in a few months. So I will try to use it for a few weeks and see if i am warmed up to it.  Its very nice screen but our first date was very rough. And definitely will wait until the next NVIDIA release to see if i can rely on the monitor for work.

I think if there will be support for 60hz in OSX within two months with a MacPro2013 i might get another one. Or sell this one on Ebay, and get something that works better.  

Anyone tried to use the UP3214Q and NVIDIA (Titan/780) cards under Linux ? 

28 Posts

January 28th, 2014 06:00

Hello,

NVIDIA has relased a new driver today: 334.67 (BETA). I wish to test this new version, but till friday I am not at home. Has sombody tested this new driver?

MM69

January 28th, 2014 08:00

I installed 334.67 last night - no change in behavior.  (I have an evga 780 copper hydro)...

41 Posts

January 28th, 2014 09:00

No change compared to the 332.21 with half screen issues or compared the more or less working 331.93 ?

January 28th, 2014 22:00

sorry - I posted in the beginning of this thread - here is a  copy + paste of what I observe:

1. Resume from Sleep - Monitor will not wake (tells me that there is no signal).  This occurs frequently, but not 100% of the time.  Requires rebooting everything to fix.  Turning monitor off / on, unplugging Display Port etc does not fix.

2. Windows 8.1-64 Login Screen - nearly always shows only half of the screen (usually the right hand side).  I can CTRL+ALT+DEL, type my password (although I can't see my PW or account since it is clipped or on the non-visible LHS), Windows desktop loads and the monitor will go dark and usually (>90%) come up in the full 3840x2160x60hz mode.  Sometimes it does not and just goes dark... Have to follow the steps outlined in (1) to fix.

3. Resolution switches - Gaming - something that is a bit more rare, but similar in what bugs are surfacing - is that there are times that I exit a game and when I get back to Windows, the monitor goes dark indicating that there is no signal.  Again, power cycling everything is required. 

18 Posts

January 29th, 2014 12:00

@DELL-Chris M

Do have have any progress to report with the drivers situation and the UP3214Q?

I take it both Nvidia and AMD are aware of the problems and working on a solution, have they indicated any kind of time estimate when a fix would arrive?

The latest Nvidia beta drivers made no mention of Dell, UP3214Q, 4k or DisplayPort 1.2 in their release notes in reference to either  fixes or known issues.

And just to confirm, this is purely a Driver issue that can be resolved and its not necessary to return the hardware? I am in contact with Dell Support via email and they seem to be unaware of this, even after linking to this thread.

January 29th, 2014 22:00

While I am sensitive to the fact that these problems might not have anything to do with Dell, I am disappointed at the lack of formal attention that Dell has placed [or visibility therein] on these issues for such a margin rich and costly component.

41 Posts

January 30th, 2014 02:00

Well, this is a Dell professional display. I might be willing to support such action if this would be a normal consumer display, but the lack of information, and support from Dell (apparently not coordinating with NVIDIA)  sends the message that they are not up task. My livelihood depends on my computer, and since 2nd of January  i was unable to use this monitor for various issues. My primary PC is waiting for an upgrade. so i am using my back-up, but after i done with i will have time to properly test the display. I dont mean the driver issues - one of the things i noted that the backlight bleeding is going to be an issue with me, and the contrast is not quite what i've expected from this display.   After that i will either return the product as "unsatisfactory" or just sell it on ebay and move on.  I am tempted to go for the "return" path just to send a message for Dell instead of forcing another poor guy to go through these issues. At the moment, the display is very fragile  at 4K @ 60Hz with all of the platforms I have access to. Dell's solution is to use the display manager software which blanks the screen instead of putting it to sleep....

From all what we know Dell could be busy working on a solution but, hey "how should we know, they dont work with us" . 

19 Posts

January 30th, 2014 07:00

Hi Folks.  I just wanted to note that I too am having similar Multi-stream transport stability problems.  I have now had the UP3214Q for about a week. 

Problems:

1. Resume from Sleep - Monitor will not wake (tells me that there is no signal).  This occurs frequently, but not 100% of the time.  Requires rebooting everything to fix.  Turning monitor off / on, unplugging Display Port etc does not fix.

2. Windows 8.1-64 Login Screen - nearly always shows only half of the screen (usually the right hand side).  I can CTRL+ALT+DEL, type my password (although I can't see my PW or account since it is clipped or on the non-visible LHS), Windows desktop loads and the monitor will go dark and usually (>90%) come up in the full 3840x2160x60hz mode.  Sometimes it does not and just goes dark... Have to follow the steps outlined in (1) to fix.

3. Resolution switches - Gaming - something that is a bit more rare, but similar in what bugs are surfacing - is that there are times that I exit a game and when I get back to Windows, the monitor goes dark indicating that there is no signal.  Again, power cycling everything is required. 

Questions:

1. I don't know or understand at what level in the software stack that the MST stuff kicks in - because it seems odd that I have the problem of half screen on Windows Login ...  Does anyone have a software stack model?  It would be great to get an idea of how this all works so I can know where to focus bug hunting efforts, although I suspect that there exist bugs in several different areas (Monitor FW, Graphics FW, Drivers etc)
  2. Are there different design approaches to how this problem is solved between AMD And Nvidia?  (I see lots of posts about how AMD handles this - not sure if it is better or not)
  3. Should I just open a formal support request with Dell ?  Has anyone else done that?

Facts:

SW: Dell Display Manager 1.20.0.1430
SW: NVIDIA Driver 331.65  (NOTE:  there are a few slightly newer drivers like 331.93... I will try these, although I don't know if there are bits I there that do anything for MST etc)
HW: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Hydro (3GB)
HW: Using the Dell-Supplied Display Port cable
HW: Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula (16 GB, 4770k)

I know that this is still a bit of a leading edge configuration (4k, 60hz in general) but I had assumed that there would be more stability after Sharp led the way a year ago or so... 

cheers

Great write-up BlippyCheese. I can confirm I am still experiencing the same exact issues as described, even with the latest drivers installed.

• ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (1st gen)
  • EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified
  • Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64/Windows 8.1 Professional x64
  • NVIDIA driver version 334.67 (updated last night, continues to be an issue)
  • Using supplied Dell cable for DisplayPort 1.2 (MST mode)

41 Posts

January 30th, 2014 07:00

For me 331.93 is the only one that does not have the half screen issue. All the later drivers are worse!

Did not have to a chance to test the monitor for any significant degree to say it cures anything else.

19 Posts

January 31st, 2014 14:00

It would be nice to hear these issues are acknowledged and traced due videodrivers or windows behaviore, but it seems there isn't much action gooing on??

I'm lucky my issue's are fairly light. I don't have problems when waking up from sleepmode and the 2160x1920 after boot is simply treatable with power switching.

I only have a problem in a few games with wrong FOV display's or stretched images (Far Cry3, Hitman ,Tombraider, BF3 and a few.)

The screen it not gooing back as I have zero dead pixels and 95% of my apps working right.

28 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 08:00

Hello,

last week my replacement monitor arrived. Same behaviour. It is an A00 Revision production date November 2013.

MM69

9 Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

Also, on a slightly different topic, does anyone know why resolution scaling fails when in DP 1.2 mode? Is it a bug in the hardware scaler in the Dell monitor itself? Scaling works fine when in DP 1.1 mode... anyone have any idea if we're likely to see a firmware update to fix that?

For gaming, I'm basically forced to use DP 1.1 mode due to this.

9 Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

Just pitching in as well...

With some earlier Nvidia drivers (sorry, I don't recall the exact version), I was suffering from:

* needed to repower the monitor multiple times to get a display back after turning it off or coming back from sleep mode
* The computer would often lock up completely while repowering the monitor and it would hard-reboot...often I would need to literally pull the power cable to let it discharge before it would work again.

With the current beta (334.67), I still have the same problems. I've never had this happen prior to connecting the new monitor.

I haven't had this happen while in DP 1.1 mode, but I haven't spent much time in that mode since the 30hz refresh rate really bothers me. I'm trying to force myself to spend more time in DP 1.1 mode presently just to test, though...

Something that has helped - 

I've put the monitor on a power strip right behind it, and I've been using the power strip's on/off switch to cut the monitor off. That has actually helped me a lot. I have still had a few computer lockups (the numlock key stops responding), but the display never ends up stuck in one of those loops where you have to power cycle it repeatedly to get it to come back up.

My setup:

I have a GTX 660 Ti and Windows 8.1. I had these issues while using the miniDP cable from Dell, and I'm still having the same issues after having connected a straight DP<->DP cable I bought.

8 Posts

February 9th, 2014 17:00

I have recently purchased a Precision T7610 Workstation for about $13K

Dual Xeon
64GB ECC RAM
Quadro K5000 + Tesla K20
MegaRaid HDD RAID controller with a bunch of SSD's
Win7 x64 Ultimate
UP2414Q

I have a secondary standard 1080p Alienware(Dell) 120hz monitor (that 3D capable one that came out a couple years back). I use this system for video production in a HD to 4K 10-bit colour managed workflow for my business. It was intended a major investment in upgrade of computer power for my business. I previously was working on a desktop system I spent $3K on about a year ago. I use the 4K monitor in the DP 1.2 mode as 30hz is not good on the eyes. From the beginning, I also, typically as best practice, use the latest stable Nvidia drivers.
-----

I've been using the system for about 3 weeks. The system would never boot and post bios on the 4K monitor, minor annoyance, it would show the login screen on either monitor for no apparent reason. I was unimpressed by the general speed of operation in video editing software, only marginally better than my old desktop), my expectation was to see a marked improvement. It quickly started exhibiting some terrible behavior:
- After about an hour of usage the whole system would freeze up and start stuttering severely, mouse movement would respond once every 20 sec for a split second. This frozen stutterer mode would last about 10 mins, it would free up with continued single stutter glitches every 5 mins. Until reboot where the cycle would repeat again.
- On reboot the monitor would often start with half the display stretched across the screen or on the second monitor or nothing at all.
- Power cycling the monitor at logon screen or during the stutter/frozen episodes, would crash or blue-screen the system. At one point, when I did a monitor power cycle during an active working edit session. it bluescreened the system and corrupted my save file of 3 days of work. I was panicked to say the least. I was able to find and resume a backup auto save from 5 hour previous. I would not see the blue-screen but this is what windows reported as the error, it would also mess and put my file system at risk as the HDD Raid controller does not like regular bluescreen crashes. And my proper back up solution is a few weeks away.
- At this point I was sure I just wasted $13K dollars, and that I was, as I had no idea what could be causing it, I would guess a Harddrive, or driver or corrupted user profile, one of a hundred possible causes for an intermittent fault like this. I would never expect a monitor issue. I was now prepared to either try a reinstall or go through support and possibly be offline for x amount of time, with a pile of work waiting to be done.
- Although I noticed The Dell Monitor Manager program in the system tray would 'red x' and give a message saying "There is no supported dell monitor connected" right when (or after) one of these major stutter/freeze episodes would occur.
- So to test, I rebooted without the Dell 4K monitor turned on, and just used my 1080p secondary monitor. System seems a bit faster, started editing in my editing program, wow super fast, stable, performance, like I would expect from a $13K machine. I ran this for 2 days and not a glitch not a sign of any instability. If you're following along this detailed post you'd expect it to be the monitor right?
- This monitor almost destroyed a large project and has hindered many more in my business. 

I've logged a warranty replacement with Dell support and expect a replacement soon, and have now found this thread. Fingers crossed the replacement may resolve, but this thread has offered some potential fixes, perhaps using at 30hz (yuckgh!) driver rollback is a terrible option as the new drivers are needed for performance/features in video production applications. I feel really bad for anyone else in my predicament that has not found this thread and has no idea, Dell should feel bad for their customers in this predicament too.

Thanks for the tips here, I'll try some out soon.

Dell needs to work with Nvidia to resolve this issue of their drivers/monitor-firmware for their flagship high end products that are purchased at a premium for stability and reliability. Soon. Time is money and desktop real estate is directly proportional to productivity.

No Events found!