Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2015 22:00

UP3214Q lower the backlight more! possible?

I have my UP3214Q monitor set at 0 brightness as I don`t need any more light when it`s placed in my dark bedroom, but....Is it possible to lower the back light brightness and Power draw a little more within the service/factory menu ???

12 Posts

April 14th, 2015 23:00

Hi Klas bell,

I don't think it's possible to lower the back light brightness and Power draw below zero. Any ways wait for other answers to come.

Regards,

Emagine

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

April 15th, 2015 03:00

What's the point of lowering brightness below 30 or 40cd/m2 on a photo editing widegamut monitor? Buying this kind of monitor for that uses is pointless.

Anyway, as on any other monitor, brightness (with constrast control fixed) raises the light emited by "black" as brightness control rises. With brightness control fixed, rising contrast makes light emited by "white" to go up (and drifts white point color too).

Hence 0% brightness is the "darkest" black color you'll get.

Other useful info:

-Modifiying CAL1 or CAL2 brightness and contrast after calibration makes your monitor to loose calibration, so it becomes useless (by your doing).

-CAL1 or CAL2 after calibration get limited contrast (because calibration makes dark greys look neutral and uses LUT3D and internal electronics to fix white, lowering the 10bit panel input), hence at the same cd/m2 for white, you get less contrast (brighter black) than if calibrated in "Custom Color" OSD mode.

-Uniformity compensation makes monitor to loose contrast (similar to what I said above about fixing white and black "hue" with internal calibration).

So keeping in mind that using an UP3214PQ at 40cd/m2 is a waste of money and a very very bad choice, the best way to get minimun "light output" on computer's RGB 0,0,0 in that kind of setup is:

-use "custom color" OSD mode

-lower brightness to 0

-use contrast to get desired white cd/m2

-when calibrating monitor (or monitor would be useless, as any other widegamut) choose a white near to its native white (daylight or blackbody white) , I mean, contrast is maximixed.

-get an AMD graphics card or a Quadro. If you do not do this, you'll get awful banding and green-red coloration in greys.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

April 15th, 2015 09:00

But none of those settings can reduce the monitors Power draw can it? At 0 brightness this monitor consume 40 watt, If one could get it down to 30-35w it would get perfect bright for my room. So there are no hidden service/factory settings known to do this???

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 15th, 2015 11:00

What you are asking will breach the purchased Dell warranty. The Factory Menu is only used by our Dell Service Centers and we do not discuss it on this Forum.

No Events found!